- 30 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.1 € / person
- 258kcal per 100g.
How to make trout in strudel.
As soon the best of the season will be in our fishmongers, I leave you this recipe for today, trout strudel with potatoes and vegetables , a dish based on the gastronomic guide of the Pasiegos valleys.
On April 1, a new trout fishing season (“troitas” in Galician) in rivers also started in Galicia . An activity that finds quite a hobby in these lands, although at present the number of specimens has dropped and this makes wild trout a delicacy highly appreciated by fishermen and restaurants.
Trout consumption in Spain is very high, although most of what we see in our fishmongers come from fish farms and, to a lesser extent, from river fishing.
On the other hand, we have the “sea trout” or inmate that is caught in the waters of the Cantabrian Sea and also in the rivers where they go to spawn.
I hope that with today’s recipe you will let that pure air of Cantabria enter your houses and if you want to browse more recipes with trout.
I recommend these fried trout stuffed with ham or the baked stuffed trout . Particularly it is a fish that I like for its simplicity to prepare and how tasty it is.
Preparation of trout and sofrito. Before starting the recipe
- For this recipe we are going to need the trout to be perfectly clean and separated on loins.
- Ask the fishmonger to prepare them for you so that you avoid all the work at home.
- Remember that although they come already prepared from the fish shop, their outer skin is somewhat viscous, and it is advisable to go through water and then clean it with kitchen paper.
- We start by cutting the onion into julienne strips and the peppers into strips of similar size. In a frying pan with a sheet of olive oil, cook the vegetables over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- We cook according to the hardness of the vegetables, starting with the peppers (which are harder) and after 5 minutes add the onion.
- We salt to taste at this time, thus helping the onion to also release water and help prevent them from being passed in the pan.
- We pour a good jet of white wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
Preparation of potatoes
- We wash the potatoes to remove any remains of soil, and put them to cook in boiling water with salt without peeling them.
- The cooking time depends on the hardness of the potatoes, normally it is 15 minutes but if they are potatoes from the North of Spain (such as the Galician cachelos) they may need 5 more minutes.
- We cut each trout loin (about 20-25 cm) in half, obtaining 4 pieces of each, which we salt to taste.
- We remove the potatoes from the casserole and let them temper a little to be able to remove the skin without burning.
- Once ready, we cut through the central part to obtain thin slices of half a cm. approximately.
- We need eight slices, two for each strudel. We can also bake the excess corners and then use them as a garnish.
Trout strudel preparation
- Each strudel will go as follows: Half loin trout + slices potato + vegetables + half loin trout + vegetables + half loin trout.
- With 3 trout, we will have 12 pieces of trout, 4 strudel, one per person.
- We preheat the oven to 180º for 5 min. With the function of fan or heat throughout the oven.
- In a flat baking dish, place half a loin of trout, skin side down and slightly impregnated with olive oil (so that it does not stick to the source).
- On top two slices of potato, a little of the poached vegetables with some of their sauce.
- We cover with another piece of trout with the meat in contact with the vegetables (skin up).
- A new layer of vegetables with their sauce and finally cover with another half of trout loin.
- Lightly impregnate with a little of the vegetable oil, so that the skin does not dry out excessively in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180º. For the plating we have placed each strudel on a slate plate, decorated with a sprig of parsley.
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes for fish and seafood that we have on the blog.
Types of trout
If we do a review of Spanish gastronomy, we find many and diverse elaborations with trout: the classic ones with ham , fried, baked, grilled, stuffed as in this case, “a la cider”, in casserole, “a la catalana ”Or even pickled . Most recipes are prepared with the two most common varieties
- Common trout or river trout (Salmo trutta fario): slender body, between 25-40 cm. (although it can reach 60-80 cm.) and weights from 3 Kg. It presents an external tonality of variable grayish tones and a multitude of black, red and orange spots. Its natural habitat is rivers of clean and cold waters, mainly those of the Cantabrian coast and the Atlantic part of Galicia.
- Rainbow trout (Salmo Gairdneri): it is the most common in captive breeding in fish farms. Rainbow trout are characterized by having a band of colors located on both sides, and with dark spots sauteed along their body. They grow fast and live little, between four and five years. They usually do not exceed 40 cm. of length. Its meat is white, tasty, low in fat and with good nutritional properties.