- 50 minutes
- For 4 people
- 3.5 € / person
- 248kcal per 100g.
How to make cod with tomato and peppers .
One of my favorite fish is cod , I like it for its flavor and because it allows endless recipes with fish , a multitude of options when preparing it.
Whether fresh or salted cod, cod offers us the possibility of eating healthy, rich and however little we develop our imagination, often original.
Those of you who follow me know of my fondness for this fish when it comes to getting into a stove. Recipes that you will find on the blog, from the classic cod fritters , those homemade cod croquettes , the famous cod pil pil , Portuguese style with its traditional cod à Gomes de Sá .
As you can see the possibilities to consume this fish within a varied menu are many.
Baked cod with tomato and peppers , a perfect and very original way of preparing a baked cod.
Three layers , the first one of roasted onion, the cod in its middle point and we finish with a mashed pepper, tomato and almond that is gratin and seals the cod so that it does not lose any of its juice.
Today’s recipe, in addition to being easy and quick, in the style of the famous baked fresh cod that we have on the blog, seems to me a great option both for daily meals, but also for any celebration in which we want to be like kings . This is a bowl of yummy.
How to desalinate cod
- I advise you to read how to desalt cod before starting the recipe .
- Here you have all the tips so that the recipe comes out of 10 points. Still here is a little summary.
- If we choose the option of a salted cod fillet, we must desalinate it. To do this we must first cut it if it is very large.
- To desalt the cod, the piece of fish must be covered in plenty of water.
- The thick parts will desalt for 48 hours, with water change approximately every 6 hours. The finer parts will desalinate for 36 hours, with a water change every 8 hours.
- While the fish is desalting it should remain at a temperature between 6 and 8 º C in the refrigerator, since at room temperature it can ferment.
- If it happens to you, you will notice right away, it has happened to me before, the smell is … well, I don’t need to describe it.
- Inside the fridge we avoid temperature variations, which would accelerate or delay desalination, especially in summer.
Preparation of the cod base and its coverage
- Peel the onion and cut it into a thin julienne. We place it at the bottom of a baking dish.
- We place the cod loins on the onion bed. We water with a splash of olive oil and add the wine.
- We peel the tomatoes and crush them with a food processor. We incorporate the clean and chopped pepper and crush with the tomato. We reserve.
- We chop the hard bread and toast them with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When it is well roasted, remove from the heat and crush in a mortar. We reserve.
- Toast the almonds in a small skillet over medium low heat and mash in the mortar.
- We add the bread and the crushed almonds to the tomato and pepper mixture.
- We wash and chop a bunch of parsley and add the vegetables. Salt and mix well.
Baking and presentation of baked cod
- We preheat the oven to 180º C for 10 minutes prior to baking.
- We place a small pile of the vegetable mixture on each of the cod loins.
- Bake at 180º C for 15-20 minutes in the middle tray with heat up and down.
- The last 2-3 minutes we gratin and we will have it ready to eat.
My suggestion is to serve it warm with a side of baked potatoes or roasted potatoes .
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this baked cod recipe . Do not miss any detail so that it comes out delicious and the first time.
Tips for a cod with tomato and yummy peppers
- You will love the baked cod with three layers if you like the peculiar flavor of the classic mashed tomato and pepper. Just yummy.
- For this recipe I have used salted cod , a salt preservation system, which is extracted from its water by osmosis. This system allowed the consumption of fish in many populations on the continent where the possibility of obtaining fresh fish was nil.
- It is a fish of great dietary value, highly valued for its meat and for the oil from its liver that served for years as a food supplement.
- Although there are more laborious preparations, a good baked cod , accompanied by a very fine onion and some vegetables, can be turned into a party dish when the product is of quality.