- 40 minutes
- For 8 people
- € 0.3 / person
- 224kcal per 100g.
Asturian frixuelos recipe .
I have always been struck by the great diversity, culinary speaking, of our country.
And especially in the north, Asturias as one of the communities where the product that is cooked is spoiled.
Whether we are in the autonomous community that we are, we will find our own extensive and varied gastronomic repertoire for any time of the year.
But the truth is that despite the great diversity, there are many points in common among many of the classic dessert recipes , which leads me to think that many times we are more alike than we are different.
One of the clearest examples is perhaps the traditional Asturian frixuelos typical of these dates.
Frixuelos are first cousins of Galician pancakes and French crepes, pancakes made with milk, eggs and flour that are cooked in a greased pan and are a must on the Asturian tables in their Antroxu or Carnival as well as in the Comadres party.
You can find frixuelos with names as diverse as fajuelos, frijuelos in the province of León or fayuelos in Asturian, it all depends on the geographical area we are in.
The procedure is very simple and its presentation too. As they are prepared, they are placed on a plate, one on top of the other, but not before sprinkling them generously with sugar.
Now it only remains to be near the cook to enjoy them as they are, freshly made.
Preparation of the cream of Asturian frixuelos
- In a bowl beat the eggs and add the two tablespoons of sugar. We continue beating until it has been integrated.
- Add the tablespoon of cognac, milk, a pinch of salt and lemon zest. We beat again to mix the ingredients well.
- We add the flour, little by little, while we continue incorporating it with the help of some rods.
- Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes. Thus we get the flour to open , and we have a texture like light cream.
- The amount of frixuelos resulting will depend on the size of the frying pan that we are going to use. I have used a small frying pan, about 20 cm. diameter.
- We add a drop of oil to the pan and, with a kitchen paper, spread it over the entire surface of the base.
- With a droplet is enough, we only have to cover the surface with a very thin layer.
- It is not necessary a crepe maker, just a normal frying pan that is non-stick, if it is not, you cannot make the frixuelos because they will break when you turn them.
Final preparation of the frixuelos and presentation
- When the pan is hot we add a portion of the mixture and, tilting the pan we make it cover the entire surface of the base of the pan.
- The amount for a small skillet is about a little over half the volume of a kitchen ladle.
- We leave the frixuelo to cook at medium high temperature.
- When we see the edges begin to peel or brown, we will flip it over and let it cook for another 30 to 40 seconds.
- As you prepare, you will see the point where it is ready very easily, do not worry.
- We are placing the frixuelos on a plate and sprinkling it with sugar as we make them. Placing one on top of the other.
- We repeat the operation, wetting the pan with a new drop of oil each time we put it with a new frixuelo.
- The traditional way of eating them is by rolling them and it is advisable that they are hot.
With very little work we will have a tray ready to enjoy this wonderful Asturian sweet.
Perfect to serve as a breakfast, snack or final dessert of a table top accompanied by a rich Asturian liquor, who gives more?
You can see all the step by step photos of the Asturian frixuelos recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.
Do you like Asturian cuisine?
Is there a ‘fame’? Asturian cuisine is not understood if these recipes.
- A beef cachopo will not disappoint you if you like meat.
- If you like the spoon, you can not miss trying its famous bean stew . Its world-famous clams with clams or those spectacular verdinas .
- To open your mouth, you have their pregnant buns or some stuffed onions . The ones I like the most are with bonito, but you also have them with meat.
- To end a gastronomic day that you will not forget. Their desserts, the richest rice pudding you will have ever tasted or Pravia’s tocinillo de cielo .
- And of course a good coffee or infusion must be accompanied by some muscovites . There are a lot of recommendations that you should not miss trying in Asturias or at home, why not?
- Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes .