- 35 minutes
- For 2 persons
- 6.2 € / person
- 245kcal per 100g.
How to make stewed turbot with potatoes and vegetables.
The turbot is one of the most prized fish in Galicia.
Its white and juicy meat has a very special texture and a delicious, pure sea flavor.
This white fish receives very different names such as ruff, rapante, corujo or rose hip , to name just a few.
It has no scales and is practically circular with both eyes on top to be able to look up when it is perched on the sea floor, where it lives.
The free-bred specimens have an incomparable flavor and texture, although it is not always easy to find them even in the Galician markets.
Of course, if we get a good specimen and follow this very simple recipe that is accompanied by very easy to get ingredients, the search will have been worth it.
And also the price, because the wild turbot is not exactly cheap. You can also opt for the aquaculture turbot , the price is very economical and for all budgets. A perfect way to taste this recipe too. For every taste.
We are going with this typical Galician recipe that will make your diners lick their fingers.
Preparation of the fish fumet
- We make the fish fumet very simple. We will get with the head of the turbot a delicious broth for our stew.
- We put a saucepan with 1.5 liters of water on the fire, add a handful of salt and when it is hot, add the turbot head and a bay leaf.
- Cook for 15 minutes over high heat. Let stand and strain. We reserve.
- We can make the broth while preparing the rest of the steps of the recipe. Thus we manage to optimize times and streamline the recipe process.
Preparation of the stewed turbot
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into centimeter thick slices.
- We lightly brown them in very hot extra virgin olive oil. We can do it in a casserole or in the pan. If you do it in a saucepan then we remove the oil and we can continue the preparation in that saucepan.
- We remove them to absorbent paper and reserve.
- We wash and chop the vegetables. We poach it in a wide saucepan with a little oil (3 tablespoons of the same oil as the potatoes). When it is golden brown, place the potatoes on top.
- Add the wine and raise the heat slightly so that it reduces.
- We cover with the fish fumet and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile we salted the turbot loins and we passed them in flour. We fry them in the same oil that we use for the potatoes. We remove to absorbent paper.
- We sink the fish portions in the casserole together with the potatoes and the vegetables and cook everything together for 2 more minutes.
- To serve, it is best to prepare a potato base first and then cover with the vegetables. Finally place the turbot portion next to or on top.
Like all recipes in which we prepare a sauce like this, good bread is a must to slice every inch of the plate.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for stewed turbot . Do not miss any detail so that it is delicious.