- 25 minutes
- For 4 people
- 3.8 € / person
- 267kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a Waldorf salad .
Any time of the year is good for a refreshing salad, the one I present today is one of them, one of the most famous and with the most history in the world, the Waldorf salad .
One of those salad recipes with a relatively simple preparation, without strange ingredients and that will impress your guest, even your mother-in-law if she comes to eat.
This chicken salad is not limited to a single recipe, there are many variations, this is one more although based on the original recipe of the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York.
This Waldorf salad recipe, like the Caesar salad recipe , admits many and more current options. If one day you dare to try it like this you will see how you agree with me.
If you want to add a sweet touch to the food that accompanies this recipe, like this salad, the Waldorf Hotel has on its dessert menu the famous Red Velvet cake , the hotel was the one that popularized it.
I leave you with a very refreshing salad, but at the same time with some power, for the mayonnaise, the nuts and the raisins. We will serve it as a cover or appetizer, but you can serve it as a garnish for the recipe that you like the most.
We will combine the acid apple with the celery and season with a glorious sauce based on mayonnaise and citrus. So we will have a super tasty salad , very healthy, and most importantly, we will be eating vegetables and fruit.
If you want to get the exquisite flavor that it has, try to acquire all the ingredients that I indicate and I promise that success is assured.
Preparation of the Waldorf salad
- We start with the sauce, it is very simple. The first thing is to wash the lemon, we are going to use everything, its skin and the juice.
- Grate the entire surface and make lemon juice. We reserve.
- As we already have the base prepared. We remove everything until the citric acid flavor is integrated. This flavor counteracts wonderfully with apple and celery.
- We add the liquid cream little by little until it is well linked. Next we incorporate the mustard and the pinch of sugar or the teaspoon of honey.
- It should be thick but easy to mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Toast the nuts and pine nuts a little in a frying pan, taking care not to burn them as they could sour the taste of the salad.
- We chop the nuts by hand or a knife so that they are not large pieces. They will be more or less the size of raisins.
- We peel the apple, we core it and we divide it in cubes of half an inch or so. The celery will be the same size as the apple pieces.
- We place everything in a medium bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice so that it does not rust.
- Mix well so that it is soaked in the acid of the lemon half.
Final presentation of the Waldorf salad
- Peel the celery with a vegetable peeler. We also cut it into cubes, a little smaller than the apple.
- Celery should go without the fibers that do not bother later when eating the salad.
- Celery is that it will give power and flavor to the salad, you will think that raw celery does not look good. But you are wrong, it will give crisp, at the same time it will intuit and surprise you. Add the pieces to the bowl with the apple.
- Add the walnuts, pine nuts and raisins (without seeds) to the sauce. Finally we make the grilled chicken breasts. They are juicy, round and round, without being raw.
- You can help yourself with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil so that they are done before.
- Once made, season with salt and pepper and let them cool. Later we cut into cubes the same size as those of the apple.
- Add everything to the Waldorf sauce and season with salt and pepper. Stir well until all the flavors come together.
- We tested in case you needed a saltier point. We already have our salad ready.
For the presentation of the same, I like to serve it with a bed of mezclum salad, you can use the one you like the most, so you will give your touch.
And on top of that a good layer of Waldorf salad, simply delicious. We keep in the fridge until serving time.
Be sure to enjoy the fantastic salads that we have on the blog. You can see all the step by step photos of the Waldorf salad recipe in this album.
Tips and recommendations for your Waldorf salad
- The history of this salad dates back to the end of the 19th century and its creator, according to the story, was the maître Oscar Tschirky of the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York .
- Originally it was made only with apple, celery and mayonnaise, but over time walnuts, raisins have been added, and the sauce has even been improved to marry better with the ingredients.
- If you immediately close this bowl with well-attached transparent plastic sheet and store it in the fridge, you will have it perfect for several days, it is much richer from one day to the next and fresh. Although as a trick, I would avoid adding the dried fruits (nuts and pine nuts) and putting them in it just when we are going to eat it. So you will have that crunchy touch that surprises in this salad.
- Walnuts are preferred for this salad, although I have added pine nuts. The nuts are indicative, they do not have to be the same, we can use almonds, pistachios or roasted hazelnuts. I leave it to your choice.
- In many recipes, raisins are replaced by fresh grapes, you just have to peel them, remove the seeds and cut them in half. Our salad will be even more refreshing.
- In the original recipe, apples are acidic, of the Granny Smith variety, but we can substitute Reineta, Fuji or Gala apples, even a mixture of different varieties.