For 4 € 3.4 /pers. 275 kcal/100g
- 200g. Sundari basmati rice
- 200g. peeled shrimp or prawns
- 2 or 3 eggs for the French omelette (depends on the size of the egg)
- 3 thick slices of cooked ham
- 1 large carrot
- 100g. of peas
- 50g. of bean sprouts
- Mild extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
- Salt (to the taste of each house)
- Soy sauce (accompaniment)
If you search the rice recipes that we have on the blog, you couldn’t miss this Cantonese-style fried white rice , a delicious oriental fried rice but from the Canton area. It would be a version of the well-known rice three delights but with some variations of the one we know and that they serve in all Chinese restaurants.
We will cook the egg like a French omelet , we will change the sausages for cooked ham with a slightly thicker cut and we will include bean sprouts and a touch of seafood in the recipe, with some prawns. No corn, no onion, chives or garlic.
It is a very balanced recipe with basmati rice because it has vegetables, eggs, meat, seafood and the carbohydrates from the rice, very little oil, just enough to sauté the rice, even though they call it fried rice. So we can say that it is a complete and healthy dish. We can find this dish with many variations, from ” Chinese rice “, to the Peruvian ” chaufa rice ” and the Ecuadorian ” Chaulafan ” rice . All with the base of Chinese fried rice.
This is a great recipe for a dinner with friends or a very complete meal. Carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, fiber and good quality oil give this recipe great nutritional value. These characteristics, together with its great quality and flavor, will make it one of your favorites.
Preparation of fried or stir-fried rice in Cantonese style
- We put a saucepan with water to heat, when it boils we add the carrot in not very large pieces. Also fresh peas (if like me you use canned fine peas, it would not be necessary to cook them). We add a pinch of salt and let it cook for 10-12 minutes. We reserve.
- To make this dish we have chosen a round grain rice that helps us control the recipe without problems. We put a liter of water to boil in a saucepan and when it is boiling we add the rice and half a small spoon of salt.
- We stir from time to time and taste after about 12 minutes to see the consistency of the rice. When it is almost done (it should be a little hard) it is time to remove it from the heat.
- Drain in a colander with cold water, allowing it to cool to stop cooking and leaving the grain very smooth. While it cools, in a large frying pan we brown the ham that we have previously cut into not very large strips. It should be done over high heat so that it browns quickly, one minute is more than enough.
Preparation of omelette and shrimp fried rice in Cantonese style
- We prepare an omelet with the eggs, heat the pan in which we have sautéed the ham with 1 tablespoon of oil. We beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. When the oil is hot, pour in the beaten egg. You just have to cover the bottom of the pan, it should be quite thin. When it is ready, we take it off the heat and cut it into very thin strips. We reserve.
- We lightly cook the prawns until they change color in the water in which we have cooked the carrot. We peel them and sauté them in a pan with a little oil. We add the reserved rice to the same pan and stir for a minute. We only have to add the rest of the ingredients, you can include soybean sprouts.
- I like the crunchy touch it gives to the rice. Finally, adjust the salt and serve very hot accompanied by the soy sauce. Let each person add the amount they like, although remember that the recipe already includes salt.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of this Cantonese-style rice recipe. Don’t miss any details so that they turn out perfect.
Tips for delicious Cantonese rice
- One of the advantages of this stir-fried rice is that it has a very short cooking time; in half an hour you have a delicious recipe that is easy to prepare. The idea of fried rice is to sauté white rice, in this case basmati (which may already be cooked) and that we can have stored in the refrigerator from the day before.
- It has almost no oil so we could put it in those recipes to take care of itself. And if you want a vegetarian version, you just have to change the ham and shrimp for some pieces of tofu.
- My recommendation is that you do it in a very hot wok, but if you don’t have one, a frying pan or low pot, where the food won’t stick. You’ll see how delicious it turns out.