For 10 0.4 €/pers. 295 kcal/100g
- 330g. wheat flour with strength W220, 000 flour or wheat flour with 11.5 – 12.5% protein
- 9g. of fresh pressed bakery yeast or 3 g. dry freeze-dried baker’s yeast
- 125 ml. whole milk
- 25g. butter (pomade texture)
- 50g. of sugar
- 1 egg M
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. of fine salt
Milk bread , milk rolls, media noche or Vienna bread , is ideal for preparing snacks or mid-morning breakfasts for children. It has all the properties of bread but is also enriched with milk, which makes it very tender and spongy with a sweet touch that you will really like.
They are very easy to make at home and we can prepare both individual rolls and an elongated loaf. If we see that there are going to be leftovers, we can freeze them without a problem and defrost them again at room temperature when we want to eat them.
These types of bun recipes usually have a common denominator. It is a brioche-type dough similar to cristinas or milk buns , the recipes that remind me most of my childhood. They can be filled with both sweet and salty fillings and are great if we open them in two, put them in the toaster and then spread them with butter, especially if they are made the day before and are already starting to harden a little.
Preparation of milk bread dough
- In a bowl we add the milk, sugar, vanilla essence, salt and egg. We beat with some rods. Add the butter (the butter must be melted and warm) and continue beating until it is integrated with the rest of the ingredients. The butter can be replaced with mild extra virgin olive oil although in a smaller proportion, in this case 20 ml. of oil.
- We incorporate the flour little by little as we integrate it with the liquids. We also add the yeast. First with the help of a fork and then with our hands we integrate the ingredients. We knead until we obtain a homogeneous ball of dough. It is not necessary to work the dough for a long time, it is about homogenizing all the ingredients.
Resting, shaping and baking the milk bread
- We leave the dough in the same kneading bowl and cover it with transparent film. We ferment the dough in a warm place for no less than 2 hours, until its volume has doubled.
- We turn the fermented dough onto a floured surface and work it for a few seconds to degas it. We make 12-13 portions of dough. Each of the portions will have about 40 grams. We roll the portions and place them in the baking dish on a piece of parchment paper. We let it rest a second time, in a warm place, for another 2 hours.
- We paint the breads with milk while we preheat the oven to 180º C.
- We bake the breads at 180º C, with heat from above and below, without the fan option, for 18-20 minutes. Once baked, remove them from the oven and let them cool completely on a rack.
- Some rolls that are super good, very tender, with a good crumb and a very rich flavor. Ideal for filling with your favorite ingredients, sweet or savory.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of the milk bread recipe. If you have doubts, follow the photos and you will get some delicious buns.
Tips for tender and fluffy milk bread
- Recipe preparation time, 15 minutes of dough preparation and kneading + 120 minutes of rest + 20 minutes of baking and 120 minutes of rest.
- Children love them and they hardly have any added sugar compared to commercial milk rolls. You can even change the sugar for panela, honey or reduce its amount.
- Although we can use skimmed milk with whole milk, they will be tastier and more tender.
- Maintaining the resting times is essential for them to be perfect.
- If when baking we see that the top is browning too much and threatens to burn, we can cover the rolls with greaseproof paper or aluminum until the time is complete.
- If you have a kneading food processor, the recipe will be very simple. Simply attach the bread hook and knead at medium speed.