- 90 minutes
- For 10 people
- € 0.3 / person
- 302kcal per 100g.
How to make homemade waffles with cream .
In Belgium there are several dessert recipes that are successful all over the world, the best known sweet and that is an institution is waffles.
The fame of these cakes is such that it has crossed borders, becoming a cake for regular consumption in many countries in Europe and in the United States. With as much fame as the delicious American pancakes , the famous Italian tiramisu or the simple egg custard .
The gofre, gaufre in French, waffle, wafol or wafle , is a kind of cake crispy on the outside, which is cooked between hot plates. Its characteristic grid shape comes precisely from the traditional plates, originally cast iron, with which it is prepared.
In Belgium there are several types of waffles, the so-called Belgian waffles in general and the Liège waffle waffles, typical of that city.
If what we want to know is which is the true one, the answer is everyone, each waffle is the authentic one in its area of origin. The best known and marketed both within and outside its borders is the Lièja waffle .
The one that we can find in the street stalls or in any establishment. That is the waffle that I bring you the recipe today. Don’t wait any longer to get a waffle and start making waffles for breakfast or snack, they are yummy.
Belgian waffle making
- In a cup slightly heat the milk and dissolve the fresh yeast in it. It is important not to heat the milk too much, as excess heat would kill the yeast.
- In a large bowl add the flour and salt. Mix and make a hole in the central part where we add the yeast milk and eggs.
- With a fork we begin to integrate the ingredients until we have a more or less homogeneous mass.
- Let the dough ferment, covered with transparent paper, for 30 or 40 minutes in a warm place. A perfect place could be the oven previously tempered and turned off.
- After this time, add the butter in pieces and start kneading until it has been integrated into the dough. Add the pearl sugar . We knead a few more minutes so that the sugar is distributed.
- This time the pearl sugar I have used is quite large. So I have crushed it a bit in a mortar to reduce the size of the stones. It is easy to find in various supermarkets.
Final preparation and presentation of the waffles
- We spread the waffle with butter and heat it. When it is hot we add a portion of the dough in each of the waffle holes and close.
- We heat for about 6 or 7 minutes. The portion sizes will be more or less like two tablespoons.
- It is not necessary to cover the entire surface since closing the waffle iron will spread the dough. You can see, in the photographic step by step, this step in more detail.
The ideal is to enjoy this freshly made sweet accompanied by a splash of hot chocolate, whipped cream , caramel or a scoop of ice cream. Can you imagine one more delicious snack?
You can see in this step by step how to prepare these Belgian waffles and that they come out perfect.
Tips for some fluffy waffles
- One of the characteristics of this waffle is to have a fluffy and sweet dough. Crispy exterior, thanks to the presence in its dough of sugar balls that, when caramelized, will provide that point of crunchy caramel.
- That is why it is essential to include pearl sugar among the ingredients. Those sugar balls that will make our waffles immediately remind us of those we used to eat when we were little.
- The waffle maker is also important. You have many on the market, like everything, the better it is, the better your waffles will be.