- 90 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 346kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a fogassa for All Saints. For the feast of All Saints , many traditional recipes are prepared throughout Spain, especially sweet recipes .
Each community, province or locality has its own. This Fogassa is one of them. It is a typical dessert of the Valencian Community, and is usually prepared on the dates of the celebration of All Saints, November 1.
There is also a saying that alludes to it: “ Per a tots sants, fogassa. Ja ve l´hivern ” (for Todos Santos, fogassa, winter is coming).
La Fogassa is not a cake, or a coke, or a cake. It is more similar to a sweet bread or brioche bread , in terms of texture. Its flavor is very characteristic, since Sweet Potato is used and this gives it a special touch. It is a unique elaboration, and I have never tried anything like it.
This Valencian dessert takes time to prepare but is worth it. It has a great flavor and texture in the dough, which we also accompany with the typical Mediterranean dried fruit. I hope you like it, and do it not only in All Saints, but also the rest of the year.
Preparation of the dough for the All Saints fogassa
- Peel and chop the sweet potato. We weigh 200 gr. Cut it into large dice and cook it for 20 minutes, in boiling salted water.
- Drain and mash with a fork. We reserve for later.
- We mix the yeast with the milk. In a large bowl, add the milk, the egg, the sugar, the anise and a pinch of salt. We beat everything together well.
- Now add the mashed sweet potato. We mix again. Little by little we add the flour (sifted) and we integrate with the liquid. First with a fork and then with your hands.
- We pour the oil, mix and remove the dough from the bowl. We continue kneading on the counter, which we sprinkle with flour previously. We knead for a couple of minutes, airing the dough.
- We roll the dough and transfer it to a bowl. We cover it with a clean cloth, and let it rest for about 60 minutes. We want it to double in size.
- After time, remove the dough from the bowl and give it a light kneading (1 minute). Spread the can with olive oil and add the dough. We spread it evenly over the entire surface, reaching all sides.
Preparation, baking and final presentation of the fogassa
- We place the dried fruits on top: already roasted almonds, raisins and chopped nuts.
- We cover the cloth again and let it rest for another 45 minutes. The dough will continue to evolve and will double in size again.
- We preheat the oven, 10 minutes at 200º C.
- We place the mold on the central tray and bake 30 minutes at 200º C, heat function up / down.
- Since each oven is a world, take a look at the last 10 minutes of time. If you see too much toast, put aluminum foil on that top.
- We remove from the oven and let cool. Check with a skewer if the Fogassa is at its point. If it comes out clean it is ready.
- Once cold, we remove it carefully. Before serving it on the table, we sprinkle powdered sugar on the surface, as a final decoration touch.
- With this touch, we would already have our Valencian Fogassa de Todos los Santos ready.
A delicious, very Mediterranean bite. Fogassa is fine for a good after-dinner. A good coffee, a pleasant gathering and its fluffy texture are a combination of ten. And if there is anything left over, breakfast the next day is waiting for you.
Tips and recommendations for a yummy fogassa
- Anise is also used in its ingredients, which you can use in grain or liquid. It gives it a characteristic flavor, similar to other desserts of this type. If you don’t like it, you can do without it, but it would no longer be the typical Fogassa. With the quantities that I mark, it will only have a slight touch of flavor.
- For this fogassa we are going to use a “tin” or metal mold of approx. 30 x 22 cm.
- Let yourself be seduced by these dates donuts are sweet or salty like cod , the donuts double chocolate or fill with your favorite filling. A sweet touch to such a traditional day full of saint’s bones, flakes or pestiños. This recipe is one more, but special, of yummy.
You will find lots of ideas in the sweetest “ All Saints Day ” special . You can see all the photos of the step by step of this fogassa of All Saints in this album.