- 45 minutes
- For 8 people
- € 0.3 / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
How to make an orange cake . The orange aroma is one of my favorites and I suppose that is why this sponge cake triumphs at home whenever I prepare it, because it is the flavor of this citrus that permeates everything.
The orange sponge cake is still a very simple breakfast sponge cake to prepare that is highly flavored with the citric touch of the skin of oranges. It is one of the most “delicious” biscuits that you will find in our dessert recipes , I assure you that you will find this and many more biscuits, perfect for breakfast or snack.
We are in the middle of the citrus season , perhaps now is when the oranges are the tastiest. On the blog you can find a lot of recipes with this citrus but this cake is perhaps the simplest of all, with ingredients that everyone has at home. It is also perfect to make the weekend with the little ones at home and to love them from a young age who are passionate about citrus.
It is another way to take advantage of oranges, not just juice for breakfast, here we take advantage of everything, the skin, its juice and even its pulp. It is very fluffy and keeps perfectly for several days. But so that it does not lose its delicious aroma it is better that you keep it in an airtight container. Wouldn’t you like to try it at a breakfast or a special snack?
Preparation of the base of the orange sponge cake
- The first step would be to wash the oranges and dry them with a cotton cloth or paper. Thus we eliminate any harmful remains that they may bring.
- It is best to use thin-skinned oranges, although we can find juice oranges with very thick skin and most are white. So when it comes to grating the skin do not get to the white part because the cake is going to bitter. We reserve.
- We make juice with the oranges and strain it. In the strainer will be part of the pulp of the orange, we reserve.
- We preheat the oven to 200º C.
- Spread the mold that we are going to use with butter or extra virgin olive oil, on the base and sides. If we use a silicone one, it would not be necessary to grease it.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of flour and remove excess flour. We reserve.
- We beat the eggs with some rods, when they start to blanch, add a splash of orange juice (about 10 ml. Approximately) and a pinch of salt.
- We measure the sugar (both types) and beat again, we already have the base ready.
- We add in the bowl the soft olive oil, the envelope of the chemical yeast, the zest and the pulp of the oranges and the wheat flour (which we must sift with a strainer to avoid impurities).
- We put everything in the bowl and beat with some rods (you can use manual or electric, whichever you like). There should be a homogeneous and fine mass.
- We pour the mixture into the mold, I recommend that it be removable.
- This part is always done with care and using the spatula to slice the bowl well. With the type of mold, the previous step of butter and flour in the base will be easily removed from the mold.
Baking the orange sponge cake
- Bake for 45-55 minutes depending on the oven you have. You have to put the future cake in the middle tray with heat up and down, without air, at 180º C.
- If we see that it toasts a lot at the end of cooking, when there are 10 minutes left, cover with a little aluminum foil. Important, open the oven as little as possible and at the end of the baking time puncture with the tip of a knife, if it comes out clean when you click in the center of the cake, it will be done.
- We leave the cake to temper a little in the mold. Then we unmold, passing a knife with the sheet inside out along the edges.
- We let it finish cooling on a rack to prevent it from catching moisture.
- Optionally and if we want it to taste more like orange, we are going to bathe the cake once it is baked and tempered with the juice of the oranges.
Final presentation of the orange sponge cake
- When the cake is ready, let it cool for about 5 minutes. Then we move it to a tray, we prick it with a toothpick at various points on the surface.
- Finally we spray it with the orange juice, which is completely impregnated.
- The result obtained is a delicious contrast between the moist interior and the sweet crust that is produced on the outside. Without a doubt, a recipe worthy of the most demanding palates.
- It is ideal both for breakfast and for snacks, or to accompany coffee after eating. The crumb is very tender, soft, juicy and aromatic, and if you want you can serve it with melted chocolate.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of this orange cake. Do not miss any step to make it perfect for you.
Tips and advice for a perfect cake
- If you want a sponge cake that is taller and fluffier, you only have to assemble the 3 egg whites. We separate the whites from the yolks very carefully. In the glass of the mixer, we mount the whites with a pinch of salt, helping us with the electric rods.
- We make upward circular movements until the whites are mounted to the point of snow. To know if they are ready, you just have to turn the container upside down.
- We incorporate the egg whites tablespoon by tablespoon at the end of the process, that is to say when we have finished with the flour. We use a silicone tongue or spatula to mix the cream very gently, with enveloping movements, to avoid losing air bubbles that will make the yogurt cake high and fluffy.
- To prevent the cake from drying out, try to protect it from the air. If you have crystal bells they are ideal and if you cannot wrap it perfectly with silver foil. In this way it lasts about three days juicy.
- If you want it lighter, we can substitute wheat flour for fine corn flour, called cornstarch. So it will also be suitable for celiacs, since it does not contain gluten.
- If you want a sweeter cake, you only have to decorate it with a little icing sugar. Sprinkle on top when warm. If you do not have icing sugar, you can make it homemade at home. Put the bean sugar into the coffee grinder or the grinder and grind until it turns into a powder.