- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- 4.2 € / person
- 287kcal per 100g.
How to make prawns in curry . Perhaps one of the ingredients that best matches the exotic flavors of oriental cuisine is seafood.
In the seafood recipe that I present today the protagonists are the prawns accompanied by a delicious curry sauce.
An excellent dish to prepare at home if you have guests who are as passionate about curry as I am. These prawns in curry sauce have an intense and very fresh flavor, to which you can give a spicy touch if you want with some peppers or chillies.
We have also accompanied the prawns with a flavored rice, so that the dish has aromas and fragrances that will reach your guests from the kitchen.
At home almost always when I make dishes with exotic Hindu flair, I focus on recipes with chicken , but making recipes for fish or seafood is also a great option, even with vegetables or legumes. You will see the great flavor that the spices of India bring to the dish.
Control the flavor and the amount of spice to your liking, here you can see a sweet touch with the mango pieces, the crispness of the roasted cashews and the aroma of coriander that permeates the dish.
In any case, whatever curry mixture you use, you can prepare with a lot of recipes and enjoy this seasoning. In this recipe I also teach you how to prepare basmati rice , which gives this recipe that more professional touch, since it respects the delicate nuances of this type of rice that perfectly accompanies the flavors of curry.
A very simple and very tasty recipe, different from the recipes that I have accustomed you to.
Before cooking, preparing the prawns
- Before starting with the recipe we must clean the prawns that we can then use for this or other recipes. We peel them, remove the head and the shell that protects them.
- We start with the head that is the most flavorful, making a simple rotation we easily detach it. Then, from the bottom of the belly, where the legs are, we remove with our hands the different rings or shell that cover the body along with the legs.
- Once the prawns are peeled we must remove the intestine (a black thread that they have inside) that we must remove with the help of a toothpick or the tip of a knife.
- With the toothpick we prick the end of the intestine that is visible and pull it. It should come out whole, as if it were a thread, without opening the shrimp, so that it does not lose juice and flavors during the preparation.
- It is thrown because it has a bitter taste and can bring sand. We dry and reserve the prawns.
- The “head” is the pereion, the “tail” is the pleon, the “hoof” is the telson and the “venita” is the intestine, technical names of the shrimp for what I have mentioned before.
Preparation of curried prawns
- Peel the onions and chop them into small pieces. We want them to melt in the cooking, in the end we will not notice its texture but its sweet flavor.
- We season the prawns. We put a medium saucepan on the fire with half of the virgin olive oil (two tablespoons are enough).
- We mark the prawns, round and round, a few seconds on each side. We remove to a plate.
- In the same casserole where we have marked the prawns and where some of their juices have remained, we add the onion and sauté.
- Add salt to taste to make it sweat and leave it on the fire until the onion becomes translucent (transparent). We can add a little sesame oil to give it more flavor, a few drops will be more than enough.
- Add the curry powder (do not add more curry than indicated in the recipe until you take the point and leave it to your personal taste) to the casserole with the onion and mix well.
- If you like it with a spicy touch, it’s time to add a little chilli. But remember that it has freshly ground black pepper and it already gives it a little spicy taste.
- Add the coconut milk and stir well so that the flavors and smells mix.
- We leave over medium-high heat to reduce our future curry sauce with prawns.
- After 5 minutes we reduce the cooking temperature in half, try salt and black pepper, if necessary add a little more.
Final presentation of prawns curry
- Chop the cashews and put them in the casserole with the prawns that we have reserved.
- We put everything together with a wooden spoon. Let them cook over medium-low heat for about 5 more minutes until the sauce is reduced. If we see that it reduces too much we can add a little water and thus all the flavors come together.
- When we see that the sauce has thickened we put the fire to a minimum, you can even turn it off and let it rest. It is to keep warm while preparing the basmati rice that will refresh our palates while we eat the curry.
- We peel the mangoes into wedges similar to prawns. We add to the casserole, with the residual heat it will catch the flavor of the recipe.
- We serve the freshly made rice along with the curried prawns on the same plate, on top of the rice. Sprinkle the chopped fresh coriander on top.
This simple curry with prawns recipe is prepared in a little while and is full of nuances and aromas. This dish is so delicious that I am sure you will prepare it more than once, for sure.
Be sure to enjoy these delicious recipes with seafood that we have on the blog. You can see all the step by step photos of the curried prawn recipe in this album.