- 25 minutes
- For 1 people
- 6.2 € / person
- 220kcal per 100g.
How to make salmon and shellfish in papillote.
The ” papillote ” is a French term that refers to a cooking technique that consists of cooking food wrapped in a kind of package. Generally with sulfurized (or oven) paper or with aluminum foil.
With this “ papillote ” technique, the ingredients of our dish will be steamed, and taking advantage of their own juices.
With it you can prepare a wide range of foods: meat , fish, seafood or vegetables .
What we get are lighter, healthier dishes with intense flavors and aromas .
We will use the oven to cook our “papillote”, with not very long times, so that the product is made in its proper measure. If necessary, we will have to pre-cook certain foods, so that all of them are finished at the same time.
A good example of the application of this technique is this recipe for salmon and shellfish in papillote, which we will accompany with a mash to give it an aromatic touch. In the oven, we will apply a high temperature and a short time.
On the blog you can find other recipes made with this technique, such as gilt-head bream with vegetables or grilled salmon with hollandaise sauce .
Other fish that turn out very well in “papillote” are hake, turbot, horse mackerel, xarda. The important thing is to adjust the cooking time to the size of the fish piece.
Preparation of salmon and shellfish in papillote
- A couple of hours before starting the recipe, we put the clams and cockles in water. So that they are expelling the sand that they can bring.
- We preheat the oven, 10 minutes at 220º C.
- In a mortar, we make a mash. First we crush the garlic cloves, and then we add the rest of the ingredients: chopped parsley, a splash of oil and the wine. We mix everything and reserve.
- Cut the chives in julienne.
- In a baking dish, we place the sulfurized paper. On it we are adding the fish, clams, cockles, prawns and chives. We salt to taste and sprinkle with the mashed.
- We close with the hands, making a package, so that it is well sealed and leaving an internal margin, so that the steam can circulate inside the “papillote”.
- Bake 10 minutes at 200ºC. After time, remove and let stand 5 minutes.
- We open the “papillote” and we can already enjoy this delicious dish, full of sea flavor.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for salmon and shellfish in papillote. Do not miss any detail so that they come out of you delicious.
Tips for a perfect salmon and shellfish
- The baking time depends on the size of the piece of fish that we have. For example, in this case, for a thickness of 3 cm. and 300 gr. of weight, we will cook 10 minutes at 200ºC.
- Inside the “papillote” we can add the aromatic herbs that we like the most, such as thyme, rosemary, sage, and basil. To give a personal touch to the dish.
- Certain greens or vegetables will need to be sautéed or precooked beforehand, because they are harder. With short baking times (10-12 minutes) they will turn out “al dente”.
- To cook several servings, place the “papillotes” directly on the oven tray. Then we serve each package individually, directly on the table.
- If you do not have baking paper, it is possible to use aluminum foil. In this case it will be necessary to adjust the temperature, and lower it to 180º C.