- 100 minutes
- For 4 people
- 3.6 € / person
- 325kcal per 100g.
How to make fish cannelloni
Any recipe with pasta I consider to be a guaranteed success.
It is one of my passions and whenever I can I prepare a rich recipe, with the pasta that I feel like the most.
Today I have decided on some cannelloni, and this time stuffed with fish . In the blog I have already published the cannelloni stuffed with meat or Cannelloni ripieni , a real temptation, but to change the third, I have decided on fish.
In addition to enjoying pasta, we add the healthy properties of white fish, to make this recipe our secret weapon to get the little ones in the house to eat fish, and not protest us.
Let’s see who is the handsome one who resists some cannelloni with his bechamel and cheese gratin.
I have chosen a white fish at a good price, hake , but here you could use other similar fish such as whiting, monkfish, sea bass, conger eel , etc.
On the other hand, it is perfectly a use recipe, to use fish that you have left over from other elaborations.
If we are talking about good quality hake, I recommend that you always buy white hake, coming from the coasts of Galicia and the Cantabrian Sea, thus ensuring that we take home a good quality product.
For this recipe the part of the tail is better, where we can better separate the meat, and it also has fewer bones. We need 400 g. fish, so we will ask the fishmonger to remove the central bone and skin, to keep only the clean meat of the hake.
A white fish, with low fat content and that contributes few calories to our menu. It is great to continue with that diet that you may be doing in order to improve your figure. Rich in proteins, minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and also in vitamins of type B.
Any cannelloni recipe takes time to prepare, but I assure you it is worth the trouble.
To give it an authentic Italian touch we have prepared this recipe with Garofalo’s Cannelloni , which give such good results, guaranteed quality.
A delicious filling like this, plus the béchamel sauce and the gratin cheese, is a whim you deserve, so get to work! You will tell me …
Preparation of the stuffing of the fish cannelloni
- If you are skilled in cleaning fish, we would have to remove the central bone, the skin and other smaller bones.
- I recommend that you ask the fishmonger and save yourself the trouble. In any case, always check the meat of the fish in case it has a small bone that has escaped us.
- Peel the onion and cut it into small brunoise. From the leek we will take advantage of the white part.
- We cut it in four and chop it finely, similar in size to onion. Peel the zucchini and cut it into small cubes.
- In a frying pan with a little olive oil, add the vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat so that they soften.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. We lower the heat and cook another 10 minutes until they are well done.
- We chop the hake into cubes, small but not much, since we want to find the pieces after eating the cannelloni. Salt and add it to the sauce, cook for about 5 minutes.
- The fish will be done in no time, and we don’t want to pound it too much. We remove from the pan, draining the excess oil, and reserve. We need the filling to be cold by the time we fill the cannelloni.
- We prepare the béchamel. For this recipe we will prepare a light béchamel sauce, which you can make without problems by following the recipe that we already have on the blog .
Preparation of the pasta
- A rule to remember, for cannelloni and lasagna, the filling always comes before the pasta. You can use some plates of lasagna to use or some that are already pre-cooked.
- If you have the first ones, we cook the pasta in plenty of water (1 liter for every 80 g.).
- Once it boils, we add a generous handful of salt and then the cannelloni, in batches of 9, so that they cook well and do not stick to us. We respect the cooking times of the container. We remove them, drain and then reserve on a dry cloth, so that they cool.
- If you use pre-cooked pasta, follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Normally you have to put them in very hot water for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cannelloni from time to time so they stick together.
Mounting and baking
- Once the cannelloni and the fish sauce are cold, we start with the assembly.
- Add a little filling to one end of the pasta plate and roll carefully.
- We choose a rectangular oven dish, spread a thin layer of béchamel sauce and place the stuffed cannelloni, leaving a little space between them.
- We preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 200º C. Pour the rest of the light béchamel over the pasta, completely covering it.
- We spread the cheese to gratin on top.
- Bake 15 minutes at 200º C and 5 minutes more with the grill function activated, so that the cheese is browned and gratinated.
- The dish comes out very hot from the oven, so you have to wait a few minutes for it to cool down and get consistency.
- As a final touch, each diner can add more cheese and / or add freshly ground black pepper.
What do you think of today’s recipe? I believe that children at home no longer have an excuse to say: “No to fish.” They will leave the dish clean, perfect for the kids at home, delicious!
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes for fish and seafood that we have on the blog, I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to make yours much happier.