- 35 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.7 € / person
- 290kcal per 100g.
How to make couscous accompanied by chicken curry . If you like recipes with chicken , you will like this version of couscous with vegetables . A timeless recipe perfect to eat on your weekly menu throughout the year.
The couscous or cous cous is a dish of Berber origin consisting of semolina traditionally accompanied by vegetables, chickpeas and red meat. In some areas of North Africa this dish was called al-ta´am which literally means “food” because it was considered the main dish in the region.
Today couscous has become popular around the world and recipes that accompany it with many other ingredients abound, such as the one we are going to prepare today with chicken curry .
Basic preparation to accompany the couscous
- Peel the garlic clove, the onion and the carrot. Chop them into small pieces along with the peppers after washing them.
- In a saucepan or frying pan, pour a stream of extra virgin olive oil. When it is hot, add the chopped vegetables.
- Season and brown over medium-high heat (6 out of 10) while stirring from time to time to avoid sticking.
- Meanwhile we remove the skin (if it had it) and the remains of fat from the breast. We chop it into cubes of maximum a couple of centimeters in size and sprinkle a pinch of salt.
- When the vegetables begin to brown, add the chicken. We stir continuously until it has taken color, without getting to brown (because it would be too dry).
- We remove from the fire. We empty the contents of the pan into a deep plate so that the sofrito conserves the heat. We can even cover it while we continue with the rest of the steps.
Preparation of couscous with chicken curry
- We put the pan on the fire again without cleaning it. In it we add a nut of butter and melt it over medium heat (maximum 4 out of 10), when it is completely liquid we add a glass of water, a teaspoon of curry powder and a pinch of salt. We remove everything and wait for it to boil.
- When it has started to boil, we add the couscous (if the amount of couscous recommended by the brand is greater, we will vary it). We turn off the heat and let it absorb the water for 5 minutes (or the time suggested by the manufacturer).
- Now we incorporate the vegetables and the chicken and mix very well before serving. To take to the table the best is a good source and a ladle with which to fill some bowls.
This recipe is spectacular as soon as we have just made it. But it wins over the hours once the couscous has further absorbed the flavor of the vegetables.
A perfect chicken and couscous recipe for your weekly menu. Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for couscous with chicken curry . Do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.
Tips for a yummy chicken couscous
- The last step of the preparation, just before mixing everything, is to hydrate the couscous in the same pan in which the vegetables have been browned. In this way it absorbs all the flavors along with that of the curry, which results in a delicious dish.
- Not only that, it is also very nutritious, since to the carbohydrates and fiber provided by the couscous itself, we must add the proteins (and the low fat content of the chicken) and all the vitamins of the vegetables.
- We can slightly change the recipe by alternating ingredients such as chives, leeks or even green asparagus. So there are no excuses for not preparing a dish full of flavor and also really simple.