- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 3.5 € / person
- 276kcal per 100g.
For lovers of ratatouille, here I bring you this perfect recipe for a meal with family or friends during Lent, cod with ratatouille of vegetables .
My mother loves the vegetable ratatouille and since there is a family reunion today I am going to surprise her with a meal that she is sure to love, because it combines one of her favorite fish and her much-loved ratatouille. So that later they say about the children …
Cod is a fish of great tradition on Spanish tables, not only on the north coast of Spain, where they can consume this fresh product and enjoy magnificent recipes, such as cod with pilpil . But also in the center it has been possible to enjoy its consumption thanks to the fact that this fish could be distributed in salted meat.
So we find this simple recipe of Castilian-La Mancha tradition, which will make you enjoy a tasty meal full of flavors and colors .
I prepare the vegetable ratatouille as we have always done at home, but you know that I always encourage you to give it your personal touch.
In each house the hobbies of some always coexist, with the preferences of the others and that is why in each house the food tastes and is prepared in a different way.
Finally, I do not want to fail to mention that although I almost always use olive oil for frying and so I indicate it in the ingredients, you can use sunflower oil that is cheaper, especially when we talk about using large amounts. That being said, I get down to work as time draws upon me!
How to desalinate cod
- If we choose the option of a salted cod fillet, we must desalinate it. To do this we must first cut it if it is very large.
- To desalt the cod, the piece of fish must be covered in plenty of water.
- The thick parts will desalt for 48 hours, with water change approximately every 6 hours. The finer parts will desalinate for 36 hours, with a water change every 8 hours.
- While the fish is desalting it should remain at a temperature between 6 and 8 º C in the refrigerator, since at room temperature it can ferment.
- If it happens to you, you will notice right away, it has happened to me before, the smell is … well, I don’t need to describe it.
- Inside the fridge we avoid temperature variations, which would accelerate or delay desalination, especially in summer.
Preparation of cod with vegetable ratatouille
- We prepare the fried tomato . In a saucepan we put half an onion, 1 clove of garlic, 650 ml of crushed tomato, salt and a tablespoon of sugar.
- We leave it on medium heat for 40 or 45 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- We take it out and remove the garlic. We pass the tomato and onion through the mixer until they are well integrated and there are no onion remains. We reserve.
- We prepare the ratatouille . We wash and chop the onion and peppers. We also chop the zucchini without peeling it.
- In a large saucepan and not very deep we put a generous stream of olive oil and incorporate the vegetables.
- We let them go over medium heat. Stirring so they do not catch.
- When the vegetables have reduced and are sautéing, add the tomato and let it cook everything together for 3 or 4 minutes over medium heat.
- We flour the cod and fry it in abundant extra virgin olive oil until it is golden on both sides.
- We can prepare it as I mentioned in the recipe, or cook it directly for a few minutes in the sauce, thus saving a few calories, that is already to your liking. But in this second option, take care that it does not fall apart.
- Once ready, you can serve it with the ratatouille as a garnish, or let the cod cook for 3 minutes together with the ratatouille.
- I have opted for the second option, because I wanted the ratatouille to mix well with the cod.
- We serve hot.
To take this cod with ratatouille, we must have our diners seated, as it is a dish that must be taken very warm and cannot wait for people.
Accompany it with a good white wine from my land, a very fresh godello is great. To enjoy! Do you cheer up with this exquisite recipe?
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.