- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.2 € / person
- 280kcal per 100g.
How to make a mariñeiro rice with hake.
It may seem like a complicated dish, don’t panic, it’s simple, cheap and one of the best rice dishes on the blog, with that I already say it all. On the blog you will find a very varied range of rice recipes and the rice with hake could not be missing.
In this case we are looking for recipes that make both the youngest and the oldest at home fall in love. A rice with all the flavor of the sea, but where all the ingredients are very small, the fish without a bone and very easy to eat.
Therefore, it is perfect to prepare at home if you have children who do not like fish, in the traditional format (very rich) but that does not enter through the eyes.
It seems that the words child and fish do not get along, but it is necessary that they eat it and be part of their weekly menus, that is why I recommend this sweet brown rice with an intermediate point between the broth and the dry. A simple and very tasty recipe with which we will be like kings on a Sunday or on a special occasion.
We have cooked it with a round SOS rice that never fails us. The result is spectacular because the mixture of flavors is really delicious. You will see how at home they do not leave a grain of rice on the plate.
Before cooking. Hydrate the choricero pepper
- The choricero pepper will give the rice a delicious touch and aroma. There are two possibilities, either buy the pulp now (they sell it in all the supermarkets) or hydrate the peppers at home.
- In case of the first option, it is simple, just open the pot. But for the second, in order to remove the pulp we put it in a container with water for an hour before cooking it.
- When the choricero pepper has been in the water for at least an hour, we open it, discard the seeds and, with the help of a spoon, remove the pulp, scraping the skin. When softened it will come out perfectly. We reserve.
- As for the tomatoes, you have to remove the skin and chop them. For that we blanch them in water and cut them into very small pieces. So when cooking they are totally waste.
Preparation of the rice with hake
- The first thing we do is check the hake. We don’t want a thorn. It is best to buy a fresh large hake tenderloin or frozen hake tenderloin (which is already boneless). If it’s fresh, ask the fishmonger to clean it for the recipe.
- At home we just have to crumble, that is, separate the hake into threads (you can also cut into pieces).
- In a casserole, fry the hake in a little extra virgin olive oil and once browned (3- 5 minutes), reserve.
- Meanwhile we peel and cut the potatoes. We also cut the red and green peppers into strips.
- Next we fry in the same hake oil, the potatoes cut into small pieces along with the peppers. Let it cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Once the potatoes and peppers are browned, add the pulp extracted from the chorizo pepper.
- Mix and add the paprika (1/4 teaspoon of sweet paprika). We remove and add the chopped tomato to refresh the stew.
- We allow everything to simmer over low heat, it is important that we do not rush. The secret to a good stew is to wait for the sauce to bind before adding the rest.
- At that time we add the sautéed hake, the bay leaf, a few tablespoons of water and a mash of garlic and parsley. We let it reduce about 10 minutes.
Cooking and final presentation of the rice with hake
- When all the ingredients are cooked, add the broth and water (three parts for each part of rice).
- We stir it until it boils and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then we add the round rice. We stir everything gently so that it is well impregnated with the stew and absorbs the flavor.
- Add the saffron and correct if necessary.
- We raise the temperature until it begins to boil and at that moment we lower it so that it is done over low heat (approximately 15 minutes).
- If we notice that the rice is a little hard and we run out of liquid we can always add more water. Considering that the end point should not be too dry or too steep.
- To finish, remove from the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes with the lid on.
A very complete dish that perhaps you did not know but that will become a classic in your kitchen, you will definitely do it more than once.
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes for fish and seafood that we have on the blog.
You can see all the photos of the step by step recipe for rice with hake in this album. Do not miss any detail and it will turn out like my mother’s.