- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.1 € / person
- 92kcal per 100g.
How to make ratatouille or tián of vegetables in the French style.
The vegetable recipe that I present today is very similar to the traditional, original or classic tian that I used to prepare with the vegetables in this recipe.
But now it is very common to use vegetables that are in season, and even add some type of meat, fish or seafood. And this style of ratatouille also appears gratin with cheese when done in the oven.
This Provencal tian is prepared a little differently from the traditional ratatouille which is chopped into cubes or variable pieces, here the vegetables are cut into sheets and cooked in the oven.
We will use a mix of ” Provencal herbs “, typical of that French region, which you will easily find in any supermarket or large area. In my case the mixture of herbs (dried) provides rosemary, savory, marjoram, oregano, basil and thyme.
In short, a very healthy dish that is an all-rounder in the kitchen, a way to eat a good quantity and variety of vegetables that are sometimes scarce in our meals.
I hope that you pass to the practice, and prepare this recipe so “cinephile” at home. Of course, do not be in a hurry, since it requires a good time to do it correctly.
Preparation of tian or ratatouille vegetables
- We begin by preparing a “pisto” or sofrito, which will serve as the base for the vegetables. Peel the onion and the garlic clove. We cut into small brunoise (small dice).
- In a frying pan with a sheet of extra virgin olive oil, put to cook, over medium heat. Chop the peppers into small pieces, and add to the pan.
- We keep pouring the tomato sauce (much better homemade), mix. We cook everything together, 10 minutes over medium heat. So that it thickens our sauce.
- We wash and dry the vegetables. We cut them into thin slices, of similar size. Ideally, you should do it with a mandolin, but if not, a well-sharpened knife is also recommended. We discard the ends, which are smaller in size.
Cooking and final presentation of the Ratatouille
- We preheat the oven. Ten minutes at 180º C.
- In a round or oval dish, suitable for the oven, pour the sauce and spread, making a base. Next, we are placing the slices of the vegetables, vertically and alternating between them. Forming a kind of spiral.
- We salt to taste, drizzle with a good splash of extra virgin olive oil and finally, a touch of Provencal herbs. We cover the source with aluminum foil, which is well closed. In this way they will be steamed.
- Bake for 60 minutes at 180º C. After time, remove the aluminum foil. We continue to bake 30 more minutes, so that our ratatouille takes on a toasted and somewhat crisp tone. Anyway go take a look, so that they don’t burn us too much.
- After the process, we remove from the oven.
This healthy dish is perfect as a garnish for meat or fish. But it is also worth as a first course, as an aperitif, as a light dinner, it is an SUV for our menus.
The truth is that from one day to the next it will be even better, with the most powerful flavors. It will be enough to reheat it a little again, in the oven or in the microwave.
You can see all the step by step photos of this ratatouille recipe in the next album. Do not miss any detail and it will be perfect, come on, to do it again at home.
Tips and advice for a yummy Ratatouille
- You can perfectly cook the day before and reheat when drinking it, its taste will be more intense, the flavors will have had the opportunity to merge.
- It is an excellent side dish for meat and fish. And for vegetarians, it is already a hearty dish on its own.
- A dish that you can prepare to eat directly or use as a garnish for meat or fish. Once reheated, it will gain in flavor and texture, as the different ingredients merge.
- It can also be eaten hot or cold, that to the taste of diners. By itself it is already a delicious snack, and you will love those of you who are vegetarians.