- 30 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.2 € / person
- 237kcal per 100g.
How to make pasta frolla or flora .
I present you a sweet recipe for dough that is used in many desserts.
The pastry without different types of dough such as pastry dough or pastry not be understood as such.
It is a variant of the shortcrust pastry, a type of dough with which crostatas or cakes frolla like the Neapolitan pastiera make us lose our north.
It consists of some very simple ingredients to get in any kitchen. We will use flour, eggs, sugar, fat (butter or oil) and flavorings (vanilla or lemon zest).
These must be used in the proper proportions, and above all, be of good quality to obtain a satisfactory result.
The paste Frolla or Flora is a mass that is easily produced and a delicious result if you follow this step. It is made in many Italian desserts and is very famous in countries like Argentina and Uruguay, such as its famous flora pasta tart stuffed with homemade quince .
I encourage you to cook any of the options that we give you on the blog. Even flavoring with other proposals, with vanilla, cinnamon, lemon zest, orange or a touch of anise … even with chocolate, adding pure cocoa powder. A world of possibilities for some delicious tarts.
Preparation of the ingredients for the dough. Flavorings
- The first step is to prepare the ingredients with which we are going to flavor the dough.
- We wash the lemon or orange very well (the citrus we are going to add to the dough). In this case I have decided on a lemon. We grate without reaching the white part.
- On the other hand, vanilla. You can use vanilla essence but if you have the opportunity to use real vanilla, much better.
- The quality of the vanilla beans will make a difference in this mass.
- To get the most out of it, we cut the ends of the sheath with a knife and cut it from one end to the other, opening it like a book.
- We scrape the inside with the blade of a knife (it is best to open it well with your fingers and scrape it with half the blade of the knife) to remove the seeds that we are going to use for the dough. We reserve.
- We can take advantage of the clean pod for other uses. For example, to flavor sugar and make our own vanilla sugar.
Preparation of the flora paste or dough
- To prepare the rolled pasta, we begin whisking, in a bowl, the butter with the sugar, the lemon zest, the vanilla seeds, the salt and the flour until forming a sand.
- Add the eggs and the yolk and continue adding the ingredients. We must not knead the mixture, but combine to form a sand. Therefore, the less we handle it and the less heat we transmit to it with our hands, the better.
- We will have a fairly manageable dough that will not stick to our hands. We form a curler and wrap it with transparent paper.
- We keep the dough in the fridge until it has acquired consistency, not less than 1 hour.
- This dough will keep perfectly for several days in the fridge. So we can always prepare the base of your cakes in advance.
Work the dough rolls before preparing your cake
- We roll out the dough, which we will use for the base, on the floured work surface.
- We butter the mold that we are going to use to make your cake with butter (for example, a Neapolitan pastiera or a tarte frolla ) and cover it with baking paper.
- We pass the dough to the mold with the help of a roller, rolling it into it to move it without it breaking.
- I recommend a 22 cm mold. but you can use a bigger one, so only the cake will be a little less high.
- We adjust the dough to the mold by raising the edges of the dough about 5 or 6 cm. removing part of the excess dough and cover the dough with the cream that we have reserved.
- We remove the dough for the lattice of the fridge and cut the strips that we will be placing to decorate the cake.
- The baking will depend on the type of cake that we are going to prepare. Follow the advice of the step by step of the different recipes that you will find on the blog with this dough.
Follow the step by step that you will find in the album of this frolla pasta recipe , it will come out the first time.
Tips and advice for a dough roll or yummy flora
- For its conservation we can leave it in the fridge without problems and safely even for a week, wrapped in plastic film or a frozen zip bag.
- Can be frozen without problems, tightly wrapped in a freezer bag, resists for 2-3 months.
- Variants for different types of rolled dough. We can make a more compact dough if we only use egg yolks. This will give us a more brittle crust similar to broken pasta.
- If we use powdered or powdered sugar we will achieve a finer consistency, it will have a more golden appearance when baked. We can also substitute sugar for honey (for this recipe 10 ml. Is enough) and we will have a beautiful golden appearance in our cakes.
- If we are going to use this dough as a base for some cookies, you should add a pinch of yeast, for example, for some butter cookies . They will be soft and brittle. If we add more sugar to the dough we will have more crunchy cookies.
- The type of flour we have used is 0 or 00. A flour that has been very finely ground and of great strength (W 400).
- The amount of butter can vary from 30% to 70% by weight of the flour. In this recipe we use 50% (for 400 g of flour we use 200 g of butter). Butter should be used at room temperature to favor the correct mixture in the flour.