- 20 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 84kcal per 100g.
How to make meringue milk . This sweet recipe is one of the most traditional in our country and a classic that many of us have enjoyed when we were little.
Years ago it was very normal to find ” meringue milk ” among the gastronomic offer of desserts in any restaurant, but today it has been relegated to the second division in favor of other more modern sweets.
We locate the origin of the meringue milk in the Spanish east: Castellón, Valencia, Alicante and Murcia, although you can drink a magnificent meringue milk in many other parts of the country.
It really is a dessert that is sucked to prepare and that only requires patience for the chilled and frozen time that it requires.
Remember that at home we can prepare very similar drinks in the form of a smoothie, from homemade ice cream. Always using simple products such as base, milk, cream, sugar and eggs.
From these prepare almost any flavor ice cream, chocolate , vanilla ice cream , frozen yogurt , nougat , … imagination power to shake your perfect home.
The meringue milk is one of those elaborations that are lucid and that make us look like true professionals in the eyes of our diners, because they are delicious. And the best thing of all is that we have not invested in them neither time nor effort. All advantages.
Although we talk about meringue milk as a dessert, we really like to drink it at snack time.
A glass of very fresh meringue milk, directly from the freezer to the table, is a pleasure with which to cool down the afternoon, fill your stomach a little and fill your strength until dinner time.
Of course, you are free to enjoy it when you please. Of course, do not miss the opportunity to make it at home with our recipe and you will see what a difference it makes. It’s yummy!
Preparation of meringue milk
- We wash the lemon well to remove any remaining wax that the skin may have.
- We dry and peel taking care that there are no white remains on the skin (it is the bitter part and can ruin the result).
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the lemon peel, the cinnamon stick and 60 grams of sugar.
- We heat while stirring a little so that the sugar is diluted.
- Before it starts to boil, remove from the heat and let cool. With this we get the milk to be infused and acquire the rich flavor of cinnamon and lemon.
- Once the milk is cold, strain it and put it in a container suitable for the freezer where we let it rest for a couple of hours.
- After this time, remove the container from the freezer and remove. We put it back in the freezer for two more hours.
- We repeat the previous operation and put it in the freezer for the last time, another two hours.
- A few minutes before the freezing time is up, we prepare a meringue.
- For this we place the whites in a deep container and beat with some rods.
- When they begin to take shape, add the remaining 40 grams of sugar, little by little, while continuing to beat.
- Once our meringue has formed, we take the infused milk out of the freezer and add it little by little. We use enveloping movements so that the whites are not lowered.
- When everything is well linked, we serve in glasses, sprinkle with ground cinnamon and serve immediately.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for meringue milk . Do not miss any detail so that they come out perfect.
Tips for a meringue pudding milk
- Its preparation time is relatively short, about 20 minutes. But remember that like ice cream you need about 5 hours of chilling / freezing.
- If we fancy a meringue milk with a firmer consistency, we can put the final mixture in the freezer, stir occasionally and serve a little later.
- To assemble the whites and make them perfect, they must be at room temperature. If we have not had time to remove them from the fridge, we can fill a saucepan with a little water and place it on low heat to generate steam. On this we place the bowl in which to beat the whites that will mount easily due to the effect of the steam. The sugar will melt and we will get a smooth and shiny meringue, full-bodied.
- If we make the meringue without using the previous method, we can substitute the white sugar for icing sugar and thus we will ensure we achieve a smooth and velvety texture.
- The indicated amount of sugar can be increased or decreased to taste. We like to throw a little sweet, so keep that in mind when you prepare the meringue milk in your houses.