- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.5 € / person
- 315kcal per 100g.
How to make chicken pie or chicken pie This recipe with chicken is the perfect option to take advantage of the remains of a good roasted chicken.
It is so good and so easy to prepare that it is well worth using the chicken from scratch. Whether they are breasts, stilts or counter-hooves.
The foot chicken is an Anglo – Saxon recipe, which can be framed within the salty foot , as famous as the meatloaf American, cakes / savory pies, either with meat or fish, accompanied by vegetables.
We can prepare them in large cakes or platters or individually, but in all cases they will be accompanied by vegetables and flavored, to a greater or lesser extent with herbs. The British make this type of empanadas with almost any filling, from game to fish and seafood, including ingredients that seem strange to us such as oysters or dark beer.
These types of cakes are also very typical in the cuisine of the southern USA, originating from European immigrants. They are usually filled with meat or other ingredients such as vegetables, potatoes. The so-called Chicken Pot Pie , well known because it was made in a pot pot, hence its name.
It is a recipe as simple as it is tasty, a chicken stew cooked with vegetables and accompanied by a thick sauce. This filling will be sealed with shortcrust pastry to continue cooking in the oven.
Although I have prepared the recipe in the simplest way, we can always add other vegetables such as mushrooms or peas. Flavor the sauce with other liqueurs or use the aromatic herbs that we like the most. All options are valid.
The main thing is that the chicken is juicy and tender and the thick and thick bound sauce. I assure you that this dish is delicious, more than good, at home it has hooked us all, to start and not stop, you will tell me.
Preparation of the chicken pie
- We clean the chicken breasts removing fat residues and cut them into large pieces. Peel the onion and cut it into thick julienne. We wash the carrot and chop it. We wash the leek and also chop it. We reserve.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil and brown the chicken pieces. We just have to seal them, it’s not about fully cooking them.
- When the chicken turns white, add the chopped vegetables, the julienned onion and the diced carrot and leek. Add the thyme, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown.
- Add the mustard and stir so that it is incorporated into the rest of the ingredients. We pour the cream and cook for 10-15 more minutes. We must have enough sauce, so if necessary we would add a little chicken stock or water, failing that, checking the salt again.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a deep ovenproof dish.
Baking and final presentation of the chicken pie
- We cover with the broken mass in such a way that we seal the source around its perimeter.
- We paint with beaten egg and, with the oven previously heated to 200 º C, bake for 20 minutes. We place it in the middle tray, in a central position and with temperature up and down. The last 5 minutes we put the gratin so that this beautiful golden color is formed, but check that it does not burn. You know, each oven is a world and you know yours better than anyone else.
- We remove from the fire. Now you only have to serve this fantastic very hot chicken cake, with which they will make the wave at home.
- The result has been fantastic, an abundant and juicy filling of yummy. A cake full of flavor, accompanied by a crispy short pastry top. Don’t tell me we feel like preparing it at home. Without more we will have a complete dish and more than good, surely you will repeat.
- As an accompaniment to this chicken pie or “pie”, it is usually served with the typical steamed vegetables that the English are so fond of. As are the peas and carrots and of course with the classic mashed potato.
- Another idea would be to accompany our cake with a salad or a light entree since the dish is quite filling and can be served perfectly as a single dish. It can also be made in individual souffle molds.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album .