- 60 minutes
- For 6 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 128kcal per 100g.
How to prepare zucchini ratatouille.
The ratatouille is one of the best-known vegetable recipes within the national repertoire. Perhaps the best known is the Manchego ratatouille , which is the base of all pistos.
But there are many types of ratatouille, since it admits many variations and accompaniments. We will find from the traditional Andalusian ratatouille , the Bilbao-style ratatouille , the Mallorcan tumbet or the famous Manchego homemade ratatouille . In international cuisine we find ratatouille , which really is a tasty vegetable ratatouille.
The ratatouille of zucchini is a traditional dish of Spanish cuisine made with tomato, pepper, onion and zucchini, but can be done with any vegetables from the garden. A vegetarian recipe that is usually consumed when the zucchini is in full swing, in the middle of the season.
Zucchini is mainly made up of water and carbohydrates and its consumption supposes a moderate contribution of fiber. Very low in calories and perfect for healthy eating.
My father, I think you already know, plants everything in his garden. And he always gives me some huge zucchini, as if they were for a pumpkin contest. I use them for zucchini creams or to make them stuffed , but what is most successful at home is in the form of ratatouille.
Here I leave you with our recipe, one more, but delicious. A good loaf of bread and to dip bread and not stop.
The base of the ratatouille. Tomato
- The way to make it is very simple, since you have to make the ingredients according to their time of preparation. That is, from what takes the longest to do to what takes the least time.
- Peel the tomatoes and remove the seeds. To get the tomato well peeled, the ideal is to give a few cuts on the skin and blanch them for a couple of minutes. With this, the skin comes out practically alone.
- We crush the tomatoes and reserve.
Preparation of the zucchini ratatouille
- We clean the peppers from seeds. We cut the peppers and zucchini into small pieces roughly the same size.
- Peel and chop the onions and garlic cloves.
- We put a good jet of extra virgin olive oil in a pot. When it starts to boil add the previously chopped onion and garlic.
- After 5 minutes, and always over low heat, add the peppers and fry for a few minutes. Then the zucchini and finally the crushed tomatoes.
- Season, cover the casserole and leave it to simmer. Until the ingredients are done, about 45 minutes.
- Finally, we rectify salt if necessary. If we add a little more we give it a few turns so that the salt is well distributed.
It looks great with fried eggs or cold cuts. Longaniza, chorizo or even blood sausage is the most common. I leave it to your liking.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.
Tips for a yummy zucchini ratatouille
- It can also be prepared in an express or fast pot. Not bad, but I assure you that traditionally the result is much richer. It takes longer but it’s worth the taste. The vegetables are not destroyed as much, the artisan in this case succeeds.
- It is recommended to let it rest half an hour before eating it. And I do not tell you from one day to the next, perfect to accompany and as the basis of many other recipes.
- A variant that you will find in Spain is the pisto a la bilbaína , a dish made with onion, pepper, lots of zucchini and scrambled eggs. Similar to this but with the touch of the eggs.
- To reduce the acidity of the tomato, we can add a pinch of sugar to the ratatouille.
- If you make a lot of it it can be dull, you have all the steps in the homemade fried tomato , but if you are lazy, you can freeze it and use it when you need something quick.