- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 270kcal per 100g.
How to prepare manchego ratatouille.
The ratatouille is a Spanish word that means ” something very chopped .” One of the best-known vegetable recipes is manchego ratatouille.
Very famous in Spanish cuisine and especially in Castilian. Everything indicates that its origins are Arab, but the Spanish version comes from the humble cuisine of the La Mancha peasants, in which they used the products of the garden and that the day laborers themselves ate.
It is a fry of vegetables in which the essential ingredients are tomatoes and peppers. The real ratatouille is made only with these 2 ingredients although little by little more little things from the garden have been added. Among which stand out onion, garlic and zucchini .
The manchego pisto is made in each house in a way, the formula of the manchego pisto is not engraved in stone.
A dish that admits many variations and accompaniments. You can find the vegetable ratatouille (with a little of everything from the garden) or the zucchini ratatouille that we do so much at home. They are all yummy options.
Remember that it has a low caloric intake by itself. You can even reduce the amount of oil to a minimum by lowering the cooking temperature and making it healthier if possible.
It is very typical to accompany it with fried eggs or some sausage. Longaniza, chorizo or even blood sausage is the most common.
It can be served as a starter although it seems bestial to me as an accompaniment to a main dish, any meat, poultry or fish. A good loaf of bread and to dip bread and not stop.
Preparation of the Manchego ratatouille
- The way to make it is very simple, since you have to make the ingredients according to their time of preparation. That is, from what takes the longest to do to what takes the least time.
- Peel the tomatoes and remove the seeds. This step is optional and a way to have a Manchego ratatouille of note.
- To get the tomato well peeled, the ideal is to give a few cuts on the skin and blanch them for a couple of minutes. With this, the skin comes out practically alone. We crush and reserve.
- We clean the peppers from seeds. We cut the peppers into more or less equal pieces.
- We pour the extra virgin olive oil in a pot or casserole. When it begins to boil add the peppers and fry for a few minutes. When we see that they are pochaditos we add the tomatoes.
- Season, cover the casserole and leave it to simmer. We let the ratatouille be done by stirring and pounding from time to time until the ingredients are just right.
- You will know when it has reduced the liquid of the tomatoes, approximately 35 minutes, it depends on each kitchen.
- Finally, we rectify salt if necessary. If we add a little more we give it a few turns so that the salt is well distributed.
For this recipe you have to have a little patience and a lot of love. Well, we don’t want a sofrito to come out , but a good ratatouille.
I recommend you do it a weekend, or a day you want to spend time in the kitchen.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for homemade Manchego ratatouille . Do not miss any detail so that it is delicious.
Tips for a fluffy ratatouille
- As an accompaniment, it can be eaten both hot and cold. I hope you like it and if you haven’t cooked it yet, cheer up with some of the most famous dishes in Spain.
- Many people do it with a kitchen robot or with the express pot , I have also done it like this before. Not bad, but I assure you that traditionally the result is much richer. It takes longer but it’s worth the taste. The vegetables are not destroyed as much, the artisan in this case succeeds.
- It is recommended to let it rest half an hour before eating it. And I do not tell you from one day to the next, perfect to accompany and as the basis of many other recipes.
- The vegetable ratatouille is a perfect option to take advantage of all the flavor of the field. A homemade can of homemade ratatouille is worth its weight in gold, a classic of green preserves.
- It is very common to serve this Manchego ratatouille with a fried egg (with lace if possible), scrambled or poached eggs. Although we can also put it as a garnish for a rabbit with garlic , roast chicken , the filling of some zucchini or aubergines, a little pasta , … its possibilities are endless.