- 70 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 5 / person
- 345kcal per 100g.
How to make a seafood-style soupy rice with artichokes .
I start thinking and I don’t know how many rice recipes I have published. It is a dish that we love at home, it is always a hit at the table and admits all kinds of combinations of ingredients.
We can prepare it in many different ways, as I have already told you in a special post on how to prepare rice . For today’s recipe I have chosen the “broth”, with a greater contribution of water and therefore also more sauce to dip and soak.
This type of rice is especially recommended to prepare with seafood. For example, a soupy rice with monkfish and prawns or rice with mussels and monkfish , which I have already cooked for the blog.
Today’s recipe was not going to be less, it is a very seafood rice, with mussels, prawns and calves , accompanied by some delicious artichokes .
For a soupy seafood rice it has its that, a little technique and above all we need a rice that helps us in the recipe. I have used a lot of life and I have opted for special SOS rice with broth that always gives us such good results.
We will also need a good amount of fish stock or fumet. You can find quality brands to buy or prepare at home, from the fish and seafood you use.
In this recipe we are going to cook with some fresh prawns, so consult ” how to prepare a broth with prawns ” and you will have the fumet ready beforehand.
Before starting with the rice. Cleaning the artichokes
- The first thing we should do is clean the artichokes. Pour plenty of water into a large bowl and squeeze a lemon into it. This way the artichokes will not rust.
- We remove the outer leaves until we reach the most tender, that is, the heart.
- Peel the part of the stem, removing the outer part.
- We cut the stem in half and also a flat cut to the top of the leaves.
- We pass the artichoke to the water with lemon and repeat the process with the rest.
- We reserve them for later. If you don’t like the acidic flavor that lemon gives you, you can do the same process with fresh parsley and very cold water.
- Either trick helps prevent oxidation, the process that occurs when the phenols in the artichoke come into contact with oxygen.
Preparation of the mussels
- In a saucepan, heat the fish stock. Without allowing it to boil.
- We clean the mussels under the tap. In a saucepan, with a stream of water at the base.
- Add the mussels and cook them (with the pot covered) over high heat 2/3 minutes, until they open. We reserve for later.
- In a separate pot, add the liter of broth and the water of the mussels, once strained. Bring to a boil and cook the artichokes for 10 minutes, cut into halves.
Preparation of sea rice
- To make this dish we have opted for a round grain rice that helps us control the recipe without problems.
- To make the rice, we choose a wide and flat casserole.
- Pour a jet of extra virgin oil and brown the prawns, round and round. We withdraw and reserve.
- Chop the tomato in brunoise, diced. We chop the squid into small pieces, which we can then eat in one bite. We salt to taste.
- In the same casserole, fry the tomato and then the squid in pieces.
- Mix and cook 10 minutes over medium / high heat. Now let’s pour the wine. We turn up the heat and let the alcohol evaporate.
Cooking the rice and final presentation of the dish
- We go back down to medium heat. Add the rice, mix with the rest, and “toast” it for a couple of minutes.
- To make a broth rice, we will add approx. 4 parts of water for one of rice. In this case 1,200 ml. of the broth that we had with the artichokes.
- Bring to a boil, and then lower to low heat. Cover the casserole and cook for about 20 minutes in total.
- While the rice is cooking, we peel the prawns and remove the mussels from their shells.
- When they are 15 minutes of cooking, add the artichokes (in quarters), the prawn tails and the mussels. We spread evenly across the surface.
- After time, we tried the rice. We rectify salt and check the liquid level, in case it is necessary to add something else.
- Let stand 5 minutes more, and serve hot on the table, in deep plates.
It only remains to accompany a good artisan bread, and to enjoy this delicious soupy rice. An authentic table party.
You can see all the photos of the step by step recipe of the sea rice with artichokes in this album, do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.
Tips for a soupy rice with yummy artichokes
- Artichokes have their audience, although they are a bit cumbersome when it comes to cleaning them, but it’s not that bad either. In the recipe and video you see that it is made in a plas ple.
- When you go to buy them, choose pieces of good size, that have firm and consistent leaves. Without deteriorated areas. If you see them somewhat obscured, it is not a major defect either, since what interests us is the heart of the artichoke.
- Cheer up with the different recipes with artichokes that we have on the blog, I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to cook day by day at home.
- You will find a lot of ideas on the blog to cook this vegetable, from the most visited entries with ham and egg , the stuffed and au gratin with bechamel to the famous risotto with artichokes . A perfect recipe to enjoy with friends or family on a holiday or for the weekly menu.