- 50 minutes
- For 6 people
- 2.5 € / person
Compañeiros de la cocina, today I present you a typical homemade chicken stew but with an exotic touch of pineapple. A dish that my roommate, Rubén Amorín, prepared when we studied in Santiago. I have no idea where he got it from but it has become one of my favorite chicken recipes , because of the memories it brings back and of course because it is delicious. One of my head stews and I hope it is also from all of you.
The touch of pineapple gives it an impressive bittersweet flavor that I love in food, also apple, pear, banana, peach or mango are fruits that I usually incorporate lately in my recipes. Those of you who have tried these types of recipes I am sure you will dare with this, guaranteed success, even if you want a more exotic touch still, you have this version of the same stew, chicken with ginger, pineapple and coriander .
The ingredients in any stew are important for it to come out delicious and in this case I assure you that they are of the highest quality since they come from a traditional market. I recently spent time in Galicia visiting Kosta, Sandra and little Matilde who have gladly welcomed me to their home in Santiago. I have had the opportunity to go shopping with them at the Mercado de Abastos de Compostela and see the stalls first hand.
In the market we have found the best onions and patacas novas, a vice bread, a butcher who treated us with luxury and of course, a first class fruit. I encourage everyone who has the opportunity to buy in the square of their city or town, I wish I could in Madrid. What is your opinion? Do you usually go to the plaza regularly? Or just like me, on vacation? You will tell me and thank you for your comments in advance, I leave you with the recipe.
Preparation of chicken stew with pineapple
- When buying the chicken do not skimp on price, buy a good chicken, if it is from home better. Ask the butcher to cut it into regular pieces to make this stew.
- We prepare the chicken by seasoning, adding the spices and passing it through flour. We reserve.
- Peel the garlic and chop very finely.
- We add extra virgin olive oil Ilove oil to a saucepan of about 30 cm and not very wide, it should not cover the entire surface. Heat the olive oil and add the garlic and chicken. We mark the chicken pieces until they are well browned, they will release part of the fat that the skin has and that will give the stew an unmistakable flavor. We remove the chicken on a plate and reserve.
- Peel and chop the onions. Fry the onion in the same oil where we have browned the chicken for about 10 minutes over low heat.
- Peel the potatoes. We cut the potatoes into cubes breaking them so that they release all their starch. Add to the onion and stir everything well with a wooden spoon, mixing the flavors.
- When the potatoes are golden, add the chicken pieces, the bay leaves, the vinegar and the glass of white wine that we have chosen to drink with this recipe. This stew is well worth a good white wine, do not skimp on the quality of the wine you cook with because it is one of the secrets for a 10-point stew to come out.
- We taste the sauce and rectify salt and pepper if necessary. We let it reduce a little stirring so that the flavors come together, about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- We add the pineapple slices cut into 5 pieces, more or less the size of the potatoes, so it will not be uncomfortable at mealtime. Stir until everything is together and add the previously toasted saffron threads. The optimal recommended dose for 4 or 6 people is 0.15 g.
- Saffron has a strong and exotic aroma that goes from pearls to the touch of pineapple, a spice that transmits to the stew an exquisite aroma and a little color.
- We cover everything with water and the remaining pineapple juice until it is flush with the ingredients of the casserole. Stew over low heat until liquid is reduced and chicken and potatoes are done (about 30-35 minutes). It is important that you stir from time to time so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
We serve very hot and with a little bread because the sauce in this recipe is great. Take advantage!
I hope you like it and prepare it at home, as you can see is a recipe in which time and patience are going to be essential for the stew to come out delicious. If you can prepare it the day before, it will be even richer than just made (to heat it, use the same saucepan over very low heat, stirring occasionally).