- 50 minutes
- For 4 people
- 5.5 € / person
- 242kcal per 100g.
How to make a seafood rice with artichokes .
The recipes vegetables when they are in season are the best option, healthy and very tasty option to use the product at its best, in this case, the beloved artichokes.
A vegetable that I am passionate about, the truth is that I am always looking for an excuse to buy and cook them. I admit that it has its audience, many of you have a fondness for the topic, a bit tiresome to clean them up, but it’s not that bad either.
I have thought about combining the artichokes with my favorite rice, the Mariñeiro rice, a perfect duo, that works very well and that everyone likes. A sweet rice with all the flavor of Galicia.
This type of rice is especially recommended to prepare with seafood. For example, a soupy rice with monkfish and prawns or rice with mussels and monkfish , which I have already cooked for the blog.
Today’s recipe was not going to be less, it is a very seafood rice, with mussels, prawns and squid , accompanied by some delicious artichokes .
For a perfect rice to come out, the first time, I have not made my life very difficult and I have opted for Brillante Sabroz rice that always looks fantastic. I hope you like it and you are encouraged to prepare it at home.
Before starting the recipe. Cleaning artichokes
- We start by cleaning the artichokes. It is the part that you like the least in general but once done the first time, everything is shot in the following ones.
- What interests us is the center or heart and the base of the stem attached to it. The outer leaves, which are harder, are discarded.
- First of all, take a large bowl of water and squeeze a lemon into it.
- With this acid contribution we will avoid after the artichokes oxidize, immersing them in the liquid.
- Step by step for cleaning. We remove the outer leaves until we reach the most tender, that is, the heart.
- Peel the stem, also removing the outer part.
- We cut the base of the stem (already peeled) and give another cut to the top of the leaves, so that it results in a flat cut.
- We pass the artichoke to the water with lemon and repeat the process with the rest. We reserve until we use them later.
Preparation of rice ingredients
- To cook the rice, we will use a fish broth . You can use one already made or do it at home, you have several recipes on the blog that I’m sure you will like.
- In a saucepan, heat the fish stock. Without allowing it to boil.
- We clean the mussels under the tap. In a saucepan, with a stream of water at the base, add the mussels.
- We cook them (with the pot covered) over high heat 2/3 minutes, until they open. We reserve for later.
- In a separate pot, add the liter of broth and the water of the mussels, once strained.
- Bring to a boil and cook the artichokes for 10 minutes, cut into halves.
Preparation of the sea rice base
- To make this dish we have opted for a round grain rice that helps us control the recipe without problems.
- To make the rice, we choose a wide and flat casserole.
- Pour a jet of extra virgin oil and brown the prawn tails, which we have previously cleaned, and cook for 2 minutes on each side. We withdraw and reserve.
- Chop the tomato into brunoise, diced. We cut the squid into small pieces, which we can then eat in one bite.
- In the same casserole where we have cooked the prawns, we add the squid.
- Brown for 2 or 3 minutes and add the chopped tomato. Cook 10 minutes over medium / high heat.
- Pour in wine and cook for a few minutes so that the alcohol evaporates.
Cooking seafood rice with artichokes
- We go back down to medium heat. Add the rice, mix with the rest, and “toast” it for a couple of minutes.
- To make a broth rice, we will add approx. 3 parts of liquid for 1 of rice.
- In this case we incorporate 1 liter of the broth in which we have cooked the artichokes. We cook the rice for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, we remove the mussels from their shells.
- When they are 10 minutes of cooking, add the artichokes, the prawn tails and the mussels.
- We spread evenly across the surface. We continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- After time, we tried the rice. We rectify salt and check the liquid level, in case it is necessary to add something else.
- Let stand 5 minutes more, and serve hot on the table, in deep plates.
It only remains to accompany a good artisan bread, and to enjoy this delicious seafood rice. An authentic table party. A dish full of flavor and that you will surely repeat on more occasions.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for seafood rice with artichokes . Do not miss any detail so that they come out of you delicious.
Tips for a seafood rice with yummy artichokes
- When we go to buy artichokes, it is better to choose the artichokes of greater size and weight. And that we check that they have firm and consistent outer sheets.
- If you see them somewhat darkened, it may be due to the cold and not that they are in bad condition. Because here what we really take advantage of is the heart.
- I tell you that I love onions in rice, especially in this type that is not dry paella type. Although it softens the rice and prevents it from being as dry and hard as it should be.
- What we can add is lemon, since the artichokes may make our rice darken.
- Here you have another rice recipe, an excellent choice to get out of the most common recipes and enjoy delicious rice.