- 45 minutes
- For 6 people
- 0.7 € / person
- 270kcal per 100g.
How to make baked vegetable dumplings.
A healthy and delicious way to prepare them. Empanadillas are filled wafers that give a lot of play in the kitchen. They can be made with various ingredients.
This time we are going to prepare them with vegetables . In addition, the empanadillas or empanadas (as they are known in Latin America) we will cook in the oven. In this way we will not add unnecessary fat to the recipe, without losing a pinch of flavor.
To make them we are going to use ingredients to walk around the house (from things that were in the fridge) without making the recipe more expensive or complicated.
We can put the little ones at home into work, because everyone likes dumplings. Cutting and sautéing can be tricky, but the filling, brushing with egg and baking, will delight you.
There is nothing like cooking with them , so that later there are no problems at the table and they eat everything. And they are vegetables, much better for everyone. A suitable way to eat vegetables in an appetizing and fun way.
The recipe is ready in about 40 minutes, but if you have the filling ready for the weekend batchcooking , it will only be 20 minutes of nothing, a delicious dinner. You dare?
Preparing the vegetable filling for the dumplings
- If we are going to use onion, we just have to remove the skin and cut into small cubes, more or less the same size.
- In a wide frying pan, heat a splash of extra virgin olive oil and add the onion.
- Peel the garlic and cut finite. Add to the pan or casserole.
- We clean the peppers and the zucchini half. We do the same as with the onion, cut into more or less equal pieces. We introduce in the pan.
- Sauté the vegetables over medium heat until soft, about 15 minutes.
- It is important that we keep an eye on the temperature and stir from time to time to avoid burning.
- Chop the asparagus into small pieces and add them to the pan with the rest of the vegetables, we want them to be crisp and noticeable when we go to sink the tooth into the dumplings.
- We check the salt and rectify if necessary.
- Add the paprika from La Vera to the mixture and stir. If you like the filling to be very juicy, we can add 2 or 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- Remove from the heat and let it warm before filling the dumplings.
Shape, bake and final presentation of the vegetable dumplings
- We spread the wafers on a work surface and fill them with portions of the mixture.
- We fold the dough in half and with the help of a fork, seal the closure.
- We paint each pastry with beaten egg and bake, with the oven previously heated, for 20-25 minutes at 180º C.
- We serve the hot dumplings as a starter for a meal or as a yummy dinner.
In addition to being an easy and quick dish to prepare, one of those ” easier impossible ” recipes .
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.
Tips for some yummy vegetable dumplings
- To make these empanadas you only need to have the wafers or lids of your favorite brand.
- The other option that I recommend is that you prepare the dough for dumplings at home. This way you will control the ingredients it has, in this case with extra virgin olive oil.
- Make more quantity, so you can freeze for other occasions. And the difference is a lot. At home we like homemade empanadas and I usually do the whole process, a way to give it the desired flavor and texture, as well as using wholemeal or gluten-free flours (if you are celiac).
- In this case, for being practical, the wafers were purchased, but I leave it to your choice, with or without homemade dumplings.
- If you are vegan and you are going to prepare the homemade dough, substitute the butter or butter for oil and no milk, just water, to make the dough. Brushing with egg, nothing, just a little oil before baking. They will be crispy and golden.
- The vegetable filling is a matter of imagination, in this case an idea, but you have thousands. Dumplings can be filled with almost anything, whatever you have on hand in the fridge. Remember that nothing is thrown away . Empanadillas can be one of the best recipes for harvesting.
- When making dumplings at home, the filling is as important as the presentation. Do not let them open when baking and the filling spreads. You will avoid it by marking with the tips of the fork the edges of the wafer, once closed.
- If you prefer you can fry the dumplings in hot oil, another option, although with more calories.