- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 7 / person
How to make rice with seafood . In Galicia, more and more people are beginning to be seen with a paella at home, although I don’t think we are the most expert in seafood paellas. In my mother’s house this type of rice has always been prepared on Sundays that does not reach paella, although they call it that.
Now that I have learned a little bit in the world of rice, I will call it Galician-style rice with seafood . I share with you my way of cooking it, adapting the base I learned from my mother Rosa, although I’m sure you do it differently at home, you can share your tricks with us in the comments.
At home we like this dish a lot, we are passionate about rice and it really is a simple and quick dish. Many times we do not have much desire or time, and here you have no excuses, in 40 minutes you have a perfect first-class recipe for a tasty and delicious meal.
It is very important to use a quality rice, in the blog we trust La Fallera pump rice , which always gives us good results.
Don’t expect anything fancy except this prawn fumet , which is still a delicious and profitable broth. It is not complicated, it would be to take advantage of the parts of the shrimp that we are not going to eat and in this way we manage to give more flavor to our rice. Make the most of this seafood, which although it is not through the roof has its price.
In addition to this rice you can add the seafood you like the most, depending on the season we can find one or the other on the market, and you can always turn to frozen ones as I present in the recipe.
A rice with seafood, which is neither dry nor broth, at its point and excellent in flavor and easy to make. Cheer up and enjoy a dish with a lot of aroma, flavor and color, you are going to suck your fingers.
Before the rice
To accompany this rice we have not made life very difficult, being an impressive dish for any special occasion, we have not spent much money. The seafood is frozen, we save time and many euros, the result is a very tasty rice with all the flavor of the sea.
- The first thing is to put the clams in water so that they release the grit for about 3 hours before preparing the rice. Drain and reserve.
- For this recipe you can choose to use prawns or prawns, the preparation is valid for both types of seafood. I like prawns more. In this case they are frozen, the truth is that quite cheap. Let them thaw well the day before in the fridge so you can handle them the next day.
- We peel them, remove the head and the shell that protects them. We start with the head that is the most flavorful, making a simple rotation we easily detach it, we reserve it to fry or cook and thus get a good fumet. Then, from the lower part of the belly, where the legs are, we remove with our hands the different rings or shell that cover the body along with the legs.
- Do not throw away the shells because they will also be used to make a great fish stock or fumet . We can remove the glue or leave it depending on whether we need it to decorate a plate or not. To remove it, pull the tail with one hand while pressing the body of the shrimp a little with the other (it is always the last part you should remove).
- Once the prawns are peeled we must remove the intestine (a black thread that they have inside) that we must remove with the help of a toothpick or the tip of a knife. With the toothpick we prick the end of the intestine that is visible and pull it. It should come out whole, as if it were a thread, without opening the shrimp, so that it does not lose juice and flavors during the preparation. It is thrown because it has a bitter taste and can bring sand.
- We dry and reserve the prawns.
- In the casserole or paella where we are going to prepare the rice we pour a splash of extra virgin olive oil, just enough to grease its surface. We put it at the maximum temperature and we pass the prawns round and round, as soon as they change color, we remove them to a plate.
- Add a little more oil and pass the scallops in the same way. Also when the scallop coral changes color, we remove the prawns to the plate.
- In the same casserole, with all the substance of the previous seafood, we open the clams, sautéing them for 1 minute. We withdraw to a source.
- Finally we add a little more oil and sauté the legs and parts of the crab that we are not going to eat. We leave the bodies of 4 of them to put on each plate. We remove the parts and we can use them for our seafood broth.
- We already have a base in the perfect casserole to make a yummy rice.
Preparation of rice with seafood
- Peel the garlic cloves and chop them as best as possible. We reserve. Chop the onion, leek and red pepper into small pieces. It is important not to notice its texture but the flavor they give to rice.
- We add the extra virgin olive oil to the paella or casserole that we have for the rice, depending on which one we are going to use, it will be one way or another. When the oil is hot, fry the onions with the garlic and the peppers, it will take about 10 minutes over medium heat, always stirring carefully.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- We introduce the rice and stir everything gently so that it is well impregnated with the stew and absorbs the flavor. Leave for 3 more minutes on medium heat.
- Add the saffron threads directly or lightly toast them in a small skillet over very low heat for about 2 minutes to release their full aroma. We add a little water and then mix it with the fumet that we have prepared with the prawns. This way we get all the aroma, flavor and color. Add the fish stock or fumet to the casserole, if possible it is hot.
- For the bomb rice issue, the exact measurements are 2 and a half broth for every 1 rice. Still, if we see that the rice is a little hard but the paella is running out of liquid, we gradually add more fumet until it is done.
- We raise the temperature to the maximum until it begins to boil and then we lower it to half and it is done little by little (between 16-19 minutes). Halfway through cooking we add the bay leaf and a sprig of parsley, when it is 1-2 minutes we put the prawns and the scallops in the rice, thus avoiding that they do not overcook.
- We taste the rice and rectify with salt and liquid (with water) if necessary. Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes with a cotton cloth on top, so it will be perfect.
- We cut the parsley into very small pieces, we will sprinkle it on top of each plate to decorate and give more aroma.
- We serve warm with one crab per person and a little bit of all other seafood. A rice to lick your fingers, I assure you. To enjoy a dish with a lot of aroma, flavor and color!
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes for fish and seafood that we have on the blog, I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to make yours much happier.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.