- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 1.5 / person
- 290kcal per 100g.
How to make chicken chop suey .
If there is a remarkable dish in the classics of Chinese food in the West, after the fried rice , a spring roll or chicken with almonds , that’s the chop suey .
It seems that everyone agrees that chop suey, as we know it, is a dish invented by Americans around 1800. Legend has it that it must have been some emigrant Chinese cook.
This forced by the lack of oriental ingredients, and wishing to create some “Chinese” dish that Westerners might like created this dish. He did this by frying vegetables to which he added some type of meat and served with steamed rice.
The word chop suey is the pronunciation of what “mixed chunks” would mean in Cantonese . It is a combination of what a priori were leftover remains of different vegetables and meats.
Everything to prepare a dish that has become an emblem of Chinese cuisine outside its borders.
The type of vegetables to use can vary considerably from cook to cook. Although it seems that the common denominator is bean sprouts, if possible to be fresh, and carrots and onions or chives.
I hope you cheer up with this yummy recipe, you will tell me.
Preparation of the base of the chop suey
- Peel the onion and cut it into thick julienne. We wash and cut the rest of the vegetables, the bell pepper, the carrot and the zucchini into sticks.
- In a bowl mix the soy sauce with the ginger and garlic, cut into small pieces. We reserve.
- In a wok we put 4-5 tablespoons of sunflower oil.
- When the oil is very hot, add the vegetables and cook over high heat, stirring almost constantly to avoid burning.
- If we use fresh bean sprouts we incorporate them with the rest of the vegetables. If we use them by boat we reserve them for last. The final texture has to be rather hard, al dente.
- If we cook the vegetables all together we will need 10 minutes. If we do it in batches with 4 minutes each one will be enough.
Preparation of chicken chop suey
- Add the chopped chicken to the wok and cook over high heat 5 minutes.
- We continue with the incorporation of sesame oil and soy sauce with garlic and ginger that we have reserved.
- We give cane to the fire, it must be high so that it evaporates quickly and a dense sauce remains.
- We cook about 10 minutes approximately, it depends a lot on the utensils you use.
- If you like bean sprouts (optional) we incorporate them with the sauce when we add it to the chicken.
We serve very hot in a bowl accompanied with a good bowl of white rice .
I assure you that it is delicious, do you dare with it? Here you have a lot of ideas to cook every day at home and not get bored with your weekly menu.
You can see all the step by step photos of the chicken chop suey recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.
Tips for a yummy chicken chop suey
- A perfect way to start with a Chinese recipe at home. Remember that it is adapted to the taste of the Spanish, if you go to China the flavor multiplies by 10 and is usually spicy.
- It is a super flexible recipe, both in its preparation. Although it is advisable to prepare this recipe with a wok, we can perfectly prepare it in a pan. If you have a wok it will be done before, if it is in a frying pan it will be those 10 minutes.
- It is a very easy chicken recipe that we can prepare at home without any complications.
- Except the fact of getting the proper Chinese ingredients such as sesame oil or ginger. Although today this is almost no longer a problem, whether in physical stores or online, we can achieve almost anything.