- 55 minutes
- For 8 people
- 0.6 € / person
- 275kcal per 100g.
How to make a coffee and almond cake
If there is a flavor that I associate with snacks in my grandparents’ house, it is the sponge cake , which was made there mainly in the form of a roscón. You know, with a big hole in the center but just as delicious.
The sponge cake is a spongy dough dessert that is cooked and known worldwide under very different names; sponge cake in Latin America, cake in Chile and Las Palmas (in the rest of the Canary Islands it is sponge cake ), cake in Venezuela, castella in Japan…
As you can see the names change a lot from one place to another, and the recipe can also vary slightly depending on where we are, although the base of egg, butter, eggs and sugar remains.
One of the best things about the cake is that it supports many variations and therefore can change their taste simply introducing other ingredients to make, for example, carrot cake , walnut sponge cake or the best chocolate cake , one thousand more possibilities.
Today we are going to expand the repertoire with a delicious cake recipe that brings together two traditional flavors that also combine perfectly: coffee and almond.
Ready? It is so easy! You have no problem with this type of cake, even a child can do it. So … what are you waiting for? to the kitchen and go preheating the oven.
Preparation of coffee and almond sponge cake
- We combine the eggs and sugar in a bowl. We mount with the help of a blender of rods until they grow and take on a whitish color (about 10 minutes).
- In a glass, we dissolve the milk soluble coffee. Add the milk with the coffee to the bowl, along with a squirt of vanilla essence and the 150 grams of butter. We continue to mix everything very well.
- Add the chopped almonds and stir with the help of a spatula.
- We sift the flour over the rest of the ingredients. Add the yeast envelope and mix with the spatula until you have a homogeneous mixture.
- Grease a sponge cake pan and fill it halfway with the mixture.
Baking the coffee and almond cake. Final presentation
- Bake for 45 minutes at 180º C with heat above and below, with hot air. Better in the middle tray of the oven
- While the cake is in the oven we melt the chocolate to melt with a splash of vanilla essence and a little coffee dissolved in milk.
- We add it to the cake when it has come out of the oven and is warm. Better to let it rest for a few minutes before cutting and serve with a very hot coffee.
I hope you like it and cheer up with this easy cake with a characteristic flavor of coffee and the crispness of roasted almonds in the oven.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of the recipe for homemade coffee and almond sponge cake in this album. Do not miss any detail and it will be perfect, you will succeed in the afternoon snack or breakfast at home.
Tips for a perfect coffee and almond cake
- You can make this cake quickly with a few teaspoons of instant coffee from your favorite brand. Or if you like coffee, you can add a little of your favorite coffee, but the liquid of coffee and milk should not exceed 100 ml.
- Be sure to watch some of our latest videos, how to prepare coffee at home with all the advice of Oscar de Toro, one of the best baristas in Spain.
- For this cake we have used a removable rectangular cake-type mold (in this case silicone) of 24.1 cm x 14.2 x 7.6 cm but you can use the one you like best. The circular molds are also worth.
- It is very easy for this cake to be dry inside so it is important to watch the baking very well.
- After half an hour we check every 5 minutes if it is already done by pricking it with a wooden toothpick and seeing how it comes out.
- If it is dry, it is time to remove the cake and let it cool slightly before removing it from the mold.