- 140 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 320kcal per 100g.
How to make apple candy
With the arrival of autumn also come new products. Chestnuts, walnuts and all kinds of nuts are ready to be picked.
A new batch of greens and vegetables , flood the orchards, pumpkins, zucchini and eggplants, have their heyday in this season. But if we talk about fruits, the undisputed queen of autumn is the apple .
On my last visit to Ourense my father had a surprise for me, two whole cubes filled with freshly picked red apples. Of various types, as we have 3 varieties of apple trees. Imagine that on my return to Madrid it was with the car and a delicious apple smell.
That’s why I’ve started cooking apples like crazy. In addition to raw (which are very good), with bites, the apple allows us an endless number of elaborations, from the basics such as compote or combined with quince (very similar to this sweet) to more traditional desserts such as empanada , cakes , cupcakes or fritters , but of the most classic preparations, without a doubt, apple candy .
The process is the same as the quince preparation but with the apple as the protagonist .
As a final result, a traditional and tasty sweet , one of those to enjoy in future winter after-meals.
Preparation of sweet apple
- We peel the apples, we remove the core with the seeds and chop them irregularly.
- We can reserve an apple core, including some of its skins, to add to the casserole. These will help thicken the mixture. At the end of cooking, before crushing the sweet, we would remove the skins and heart.
- We put the chopped apples in a saucepan and water them with the lemon juice.
- We cook the apples for 30 minutes. We can cover the casserole initially to help in the extraction of its juices.
- After this time we add the sugar and integrate it with the apples with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Stirring occasionally, cook the apples for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Depending on the apple variety, especially on the amount of water and fiber it contains, the cooking process will take more or less.
Save and present the apple candy
- We consider that the sweet is ready when when you put a spoon of skin inside the casserole, it remains standing.
- We must keep a low temperature to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- When we have obtained a thick and caramelized cream, we crush it to obtain a fine texture.
- If we have added hearts and apple skins to the cooking, we will remove them before crushing the sweet.
- We pour the apple candy in molds and let them cool before storing it in the fridge.
This sweet apple combines beautifully with a creamy cheese, Galician style such as Arzúa-Ulloa or tetilla. Also with an Asturian Afuega’l pitu, one from tetilla or the Extremadura cake from Casar. A little good bread and some nuts and heaven is assured.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for apple candy . Do not miss any detail so that they come out of you delicious.
Tips for a yummy apple pudding
- The preparation of this recipe is simple but requires some waiting time and attention.
- It will take time to evaporate the water from the apples and get a caramelization ideal for the sweet. It will require us to be very aware of the cooking, stirring occasionally, at the beginning, and almost continuously, at the end of the cooking.
- If you want to give a spicy touch I recommend that you add a cinnamon stick in the cooking and an anise star to the recipe. At the end of the cooking you remove them and you will have an original apple candy and yummy.
- To unmold it we will only have to immerse the container or tupper in hot water for a few minutes, turn the tupper over and the apple jam will fall easily without damage.
- How do I keep the apple candy and it lasts up to a year? It is convenient to keep it in the fridge. Although with the amount of sugar it has, and as we know it is a natural preservative, it doesn’t hurt to have it in the fridge.