- 40 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.5 € / person
- 243kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a Catalan cream pie . The dessert recipe that I bring you today is an adaptation of a classic within the pastry repertoire of our country.
I am referring to the Catalan cream, burned cream or San José cream. It is a super traditional Catalan dessert, a kind of cream made with yolks that is topped with a layer of burnt sugar. With the same base as the original recipe I have prepared a Catalan cream pie with a biscuit base.
A very simple recipe that we can prepare with some time in advance, making it perfect for dessert for a meal that is hard to work with, with various preparations in the kitchen.
This type of desserts offer us a lot of possibilities, from the original Catalan cream we can make a lot of preparations, this rich Catalan cream cake is an example, we simply have to reinforce the cream with some gelatin leaves to help in its stability and we will have a delicious tart to share.
Other options would be a strudel cake with pancakes instead of puff pastry or some puff pastry canes in which we substitute the pastry cream for this variety of cream with yolks. A simple cake that will take no more than 35 minutes to prepare plus rest in the fridge for the gelatin to curdle in the cream, easy, right? As always in the kitchen, everyone’s imagination is the limit, your cake your way.
Preparation of the cream of the Catalan cream pie
- We start by preparing the pan for the cake. We coat the base and sides of the mold with butter and line it with baking paper or parchment paper.
- In this way we will achieve a perfect demoulding without the danger that the cake could spoil us in the end.
- We crush the cookies to make the base of our cake. I usually do it by putting them in a bag and crushing the cookies with the mortar mallet.
- Obviously we can also use a more orthodox method and use a food processor.
- We put the crushed cookies in a bowl and add the orange zest and the melted and hot butter. Mix well with a fork until all the cookie crumbs are soaked in the butter.
- We pour the mixture into the mold that we already have lined and, with the tips of our fingers, we compact the cookies until we have a uniform layer that covers the entire base of the mold.
- We keep the mold in the fridge so that it hardens until the moment of using the mold again.
- You can see in this video how to prepare Catalan cream , as the base of our cake, although we will make some small changes. We are going to add gelatin to make the cake with all the flavor to this delicious dessert.
Preparation of the Catalan cream pie
- We put the gelatine leaves in water and reserve them, while they hydrate, until the moment of using them. In a bowl, beat the yolks with the sugar and reserve. We put 75 ml. of milk in a cup and dissolve the cornstarch in it. We reserve.
- In a saucepan we put the rest of the milk, the lemon and orange skins and the cinnamon stick. Let the mixture cook for 5 minutes over low heat and turn off the heat. We wait for the milk to temper and infuse with the skins and cinnamon.
- Add the beaten yolks with sugar and mix well with some rods. We put the saucepan back on the fire and add the cornstarch dissolved in milk.
- While stirring and over medium low heat, cook the cream until it has thickened.
- We remove the saucepan from the heat and add the already hydrated gelatin. Mix well so that it dissolves and integrates and pour the cream into the mold on the cookie base.
- Let the cream cool before storing the mold in the fridge. I usually prepare this cake in advance, the day before, but with about 4 hours in the fridge or fridge it will be enough for the cream to curdle.
- Once we have the cake ready, with the curdled cream, at the moment we go to serve it, we remove the cake from the mold. We cover the surface of the cake with sugar and, with a kitchen burner, we burn the sugar.
In a very simple way we will have ready a perfect cake for a dessert or snack, one of those that will delight both children and adults. It is a yummy dessert.
Be sure to enjoy all the milk sweets that we have in our dessert recipes .
You can see all the photos of the step by step of this Catalan cream pie recipe , do not miss any detail so that they come out perfect.