- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.8 € / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
How to make a black risotto with cuttlefish .
I recently attended an Italian cooking course and we prepared a lot of delicious recipes, the one that surprised me the most since I had never tried it was this black risotto or risotto al nero di seppia .
A recipe with very simple rice that has a piece of cuttlefish, a broth that is the secret of the dish because it gives it all its flavor and of course the color of squid ink.
On the blog, squid triumph in its ink , a dish of a lifetime at home and that many of you have dared to prepare.
Today’s recipe is similar but much more original in both presentation and preparation. In addition, in my recipe I have given it a delicious spicy point thanks to some Italian pepitocino that you can substitute for chili peppers, chili peppers, chilies … an optional recommendation that rounds off the recipe.
The risotto in general has an intense flavor, sweetness and is usually very juicy. With the squid ink sauce that we have added to this black rice we manage to raise all these characteristics even a little more that magnificent taste of the sea.
With rice and cuttlefish we have enjoyed the sea at our table, one of those rice recipes that you will surely prepare at home.
Risotto usually uses rice with a high starch content and among these the ideals are the varieties arborio, carnaroli, maratelli, padano, roma and vialone Nano.
These types of rice resist slow cooking, absorb the liquid and flavor much better, resulting in a creamy broth, a loose grain and tasty al dente.
To prepare this black risotto with cuttlefish we use Scotti risotto rice, which is perhaps the most easily found in supermarkets and department stores.
Since its quality guarantees us a risotto full of creaminess and consistency, giving a result of exquisiteness and elegance that will make you enjoy a traditional category dish.
A risotto with a creamy texture, soft on the outside but firm on the inside, we must always cook it “all’onda”, that is, it slides a little on the plate and we assume that we have to use appropriate ingredients. I hope you like it and cheer up with him soon, you will tell me.
Preparation of the base broth
- We prepare the fish stock with 2 liters of water, some monkfish bones, pieces of white fish, 1/2 onion, a tomato, a pepper and some bay leaf. The broth will be kept on medium heat throughout the recipe.
- In case you do not have time to prepare the broth, you can substitute it with a commercial quality fish broth that we must also keep hot at all times.
- I usually have a fish fumet prepared always in the freezer. I do not recommend making this recipe only with water, it will not be the same.
- I leave you with the video of how to prepare a good fish fumet, perfect for this recipe. Follow the step by step and it will be perfect for you.
Preparation of cuttlefish in its ink. Risotto base
- The second step is to prepare the cuttlefish leaving it very clean. We will ask our fishmonger to remove the viscera and clean it as much as possible.
- At home we remove the dark skin that covers it and we arm ourselves with patience to eliminate the thin and transparent curtain that covers its entire surface.
- This is harder work on this recipe. To get a cuttlefish that is not very hard and leathery, it is necessary to remove this rib that during frying will be rubbery and will make the cuttlefish hard.
- We can also try freezing and thawing it before cooking. This process, like the octopus, will break its fibers and make it more tender. In any case, these tips are as long as the cuttlefish we buy is fresh.
- Once we have the clean cuttlefish, we cut it into more or less equal squares and reserve it.
- We put the ink in a glass with the white wine. We crush it until the bag that keeps it breaks so that it detaches and stains the water. We reserve.
- In a casserole, add extra virgin olive oil and butter.
- While it heats up and begins to melt, peel and cut the onion, chop the leek and the garlic cloves, all very minced.
- Add to the saucepan when the oil is hot and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning the bottom, they should be translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
Preparation of black risotto with cuttlefish
- In case we like the spicy point in the rice, we add a peppery in 2 pieces to show it in the recipe, in case you want to remove it from the plate.
- When the vegetable is well poached we will add the cuttlefish pieces already cleaned, cut into squares and sauté them. Let them fry with the vegetables for 10 more minutes.
- As soon as we see them start to shrink and change color, add the rice and mix until you see that the grains are shiny.
- We start by adding the white wine with the squid ink. We mix and let the liquid evaporate and the rice absorb it and change color.
- From there, we lightly cover everything with the broth. We will add saucepan to saucepan as it decreases, until we find the point to the rice.
- As soon as it runs out of liquid we add a ladle of the broth and cook without stopping stirring.
- When we see that the liquid is absorbed, we add more broth, we continue cooking and stirring all the time. If you see that more liquid is needed, add a little more broth, always hot.
- We will cook the rice for a total of 15-20 minutes. When there are three minutes left until cooking is finished, we will add the cooked peas. These give a crisp and colored point to the rice, they are optional.
- When the rice grain is al dente, that is, the grain is soft, but its center is slightly firm, add the cold butter.
- Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the butter emulsifies with the risotto liquid.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the black risotto recipe. Do not lose detail and it will be perfect.
Final presentation of risotto with cuttlefish
- Just before finishing, add the Parmesan and move so that it melts. This step is optional, as it hardly adds flavor, but it gives smoothness, creaminess and shine.
- We taste salt before serving, remember that Parmesan cheese has salt. In case it is bland, we rectify with salt and add freshly ground pepper to your liking.
- Let stand 2 minutes before serving.
- We serve the risotto in a deep dish, we can finish with a little freshly chopped chives.
To enjoy this dish full of sea flavor. We loved it at home, and I hope you do too.
Choose from all the types of risotto that you will find on the blog, with seasonal mushrooms , with simple ingredients such as Parmesan or saffron , the original risotto with lamb and artichokes , the octopus risotto or a classic sea and mountain . I am sure your favorite risotto will be there.