- 200 minutes
- For 8 people
- 2.5 € / person
- 340kcal per 100g.
How to prepare tripe with chickpeas.
Among the recipes for stews with legumes , tripe with chickpeas, are one of those recipes for cold days, which come in very easily and are reminiscent of childhood, at least in my case.
It is included within the dishes with casquería, so consumed in times of scarcity, where money came for just enough and that today have become fashionable, thanks to great kitchen professionals such as Javi Estévez .
La Tasquería has a Michelin star and one of the star dishes of its restaurant is tripe a la madrileña . I have been lucky enough to try this and other dishes, and I can confirm that they are the best.
Today’s recipe is a Galician variation of tripe in Madrid. And of course, it is one more recipe, of yummy, but there are hundreds of preparing tripe, although the base is usually the same in all houses, they always have small differences. A way to differentiate yourself and make your own callus recipe.
With the accompaniment of the chickpeas, you soften the recipe a little, and add another flavor. The result is a super tasty spoon dish. I would even say creamy, that it could not be more good.
- We put the chickpeas to soak overnight, no less than 8 hours, so that they rehydrate.
- We also soak the pig’s claw with its knuckle. Once we have asked our butcher to cut it for us, overnight.
- When we buy the meat for the tripe, we will also ask our butcher to cut the veal leg.
- At home we will leave the juice and the skins of two lemons, the meat of the stomach of veal that we will have cut and the leg from the previous night to soak in water.
- This will facilitate the cleaning work of these meats. Although today they are marketed much cleaner than they were years ago.
- The lemon juice will help us in the process so that we are immaculate to cook them.
- After having to soak the chickpeas, the nail and pork knuckle. Also the meats of stomach and leg of veal from the previous night, we get down to work.
- We wash the stomach and calf leg very well again, mainly the stomach. We will dedicate some effort to this process.
Preparation of corns with chickpeas
- In a fast pot, cook the chopped stomach, the leg of the veal and the claw and pork knuckle in cold water, for 5 or 6 minutes without putting the pot under pressure.
- We discard this first cooking water and cover again.
- Add to the pot the diced onion, the chopped garlic cloves, the sweet paprika (and a touch of spice if you like), the cumin and a pinch of salt.
- We cook the meats for 15 minutes.
- We open the pot by chilling it directly under the cold water tap.
- Add the chickpeas, close the pot quickly and cook the corns for 30 minutes. Always until we see that the chickpeas and meat are almost tender.
- We reopen the saucepan by chilling it directly under the tap.
- If we choose to use a traditional casserole, we should cook the meats about 50-55 minutes before adding the chickpeas.
- Once we have the chickpeas in the casserole, we will cook them for 1 hour and a half and 2 hours, checking that they are cooked.
- Add the chorizo in pieces or slices. We continue cooking 30 minutes more with the pot without pressure.
- We check the cooking point being able to increase or decrease them in this last process as we see.
We will not need more than a good bread to dip in the sauce.
You can see in this step by step how to prepare some tripe with chickpeas and that they come out perfect.