- 120 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.5 € / person
- 286kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a lamb stew with potatoes. As popular wisdom says: ” the sea is the grouper and the lamb is from the earth .” Any date of the year is good to take the casserole and prepare a stew.
There is nothing better to gather the whole family around a table with one of the meat recipes that we have on the blog. It is true that it desires more when the temperatures drop, but I assure you that if you put it on the table, it will fly. I present you a recipe for stewed potatoes with lamb , a comforting dish full of flavor for home and family.
As I told you in the recipe for roast lamb , this animal is the sheep’s calf less than a year old. It is one of the most common meat products in Mediterranean cuisine and is a meat highly appreciated in many other countries.
It is very common in the cuisine of India and in some parts of China, in Argentine Patagonia it is one of the most precious delicacies and in Judaism it is a symbol of sacrifice. On the blog you will find several recipes with lamb with many visits, from the Moroccan lamb , the delicious honey-roasted lamb or the laborious but special stuffed lamb .
In this recipe we have cooked a 7 kilos suckling lamb. This recipe that I present to you is one of the tastiest and most traditional ways of preparing lamb.To make this stew you will not need much of it, because the important thing is in the sauce, with its potatoes and vegetables, a broth to put in a altar. It is also a fairly inexpensive dish.
I hope you like it and prepare it at home. A hearty stew that of course is delicious.
Preparation of the base of the lamb stew
- The lamb has to be chopped, we can do it ourselves or we ask our butcher to chop it for us.
- Tomatoes have to be peeled and chopped. We recommend that you do it at the beginning, this way they will be ready when you have to add them.
- To get the tomato well peeled, the ideal is to give it a few cuts on the skin and blanch it for a couple of minutes. So this one comes out practically alone and we won’t find any remains in the sauce. Peel, chop and reserve.
- The first step is to season the lamb and brown it in a pan with oil. We have to mark it well so that the scab forms.
- Meanwhile we are chopping the onion and garlic. The pieces do not have to be very small.
- When we have finished marking all the pieces of lamb, strain the oil and pour it into the pot in which we are going to cook. By reusing the oil we preserve the substance of the meat.
- In that oil we brown the onion, halfway through the cooking we add the garlic and a few minutes later the tomato that we have previously peeled and chopped.
- When everything is golden and the tomato has become a sauce, season with salt and pepper and add the thyme and chopped parsley.
- At the moment when everything is well cooked, add the brandy and the lemon juice.
- Instead of brandy we can add white wine, but the first adds a sweeter and more aromatic flavor to the sauce. Adding brandy or wine softens the meat in addition to flavoring it, and the lemon helps to soften the flavor.
Cooking of the lamb stew. Final presentation
- Let the sauce reduce, introduce the pieces of lamb and cover with the meat stock. Cover and let cook for 45 minutes.
- When this time has elapsed, add the carrots and potatoes with a cooking time of 22 minutes more.
- Finally we add the peas and leave another 10 minutes. Let it sit and serve hot.
- A homemade recipe from mother that surely if you prepare at home will come a lot of memories. There is no such thing as a good stew to gather the family.
This recipe for stewed potatoes with lamb is a classic of Castilian cuisine. Although you can find similar versions in many parts of our geography.
You can see all the step by step photos of the lamb stew recipe in this album.