- 60 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 320kcal per 100g.
Today we have prepared beignets, apple fritters , in French beignets aux pommes .
As its name literally translated from French indicates, they are apple fritters but in the style of the neighboring country, dipping the apple in an almost liquid dough that is then fried in abundant oil.
The usual thing is to present them in the form of a donut, cutting the apple into rings, although another way in which this recipe has conquered the world is with the beignets or fritters of New Orleans .
You will be thinking what a French fritter recipe, of great Latin roots, will have to do with those that can be prepared in a city in the USA Well the answer is simple, it was the French colonists during the 18th century who brought this recipe with them.
Over time and distance it has changed its shape on the other side of the puddle, being traditional to present them in a square shape and not as a donut. In any case, it is a light and juicy sweet, thanks to the contribution of the fruit, very easy to prepare and very tasty. Depending on the region, the dough is usually enriched with beer or some liquor, with which the result is even better.
Although it is in the celebration of All Saints , on November 1 , where the donuts in Spain reach their highest consumption, we can see them in all the pastry shops in Madrid at Carnival and Lent.
It is true that, as in the past, most parties are no longer celebrated, but what has become clear is that thanks to our gastronomic repertoire, it is easy to keep the party on the table with this recipe or with All Saints Recipes .
The fritters are sweet or salty like the cod ones are very typical, you have double chocolate fritters , the carnival crespillos … tuneadlos with your favorite filling: whipped cream, truffle, chocolate, strawberries, coffee …
Preparation of the dough for apple fritters
- We separate the whites from the yolks and assemble the egg whites to soft peaks . We reserve.
- In another bowl mix the yolks with the sugar and beat well until the mixture foams. Add the milk, cognac and flour and beat well. We incorporate the mounted whites and mix with enveloping movements to prevent them from falling. Let the mixture stand while we prepare the apples.
- Peel the apples and cut them into 1 cm slices. thick. With the help of a cookie cutter or a knife we remove the heart in each of the portions.
- In a deep frying pan we heat plenty of neutral oil (sunflower or soft olive) so that it does not add more flavor to the dough.
- It is preferable that the pan is small and deep, so we will not put too many beignets to fry in each batch, thus preventing the oil from cooling down.
Frying and preparing the fritters. Final presentation
- While we heat plenty of oil to fry, we soak the apple rings in the cream. Once the oil is hot, add the apples dipped in the cream to the pan.
- The difficulty of this dessert is in the temperature of the oil. Since if it is not hot, the dough falls to the bottom and must float. If it is too hot, a dry wrap forms around the donut that prevents it from growing.
- Also if the oil is very hot, they will brown very quickly and will be raw inside.
- The first batch will serve us to try the following ones and they will be delicious.
- We fry the dough portions for 1 minute on each side. We remove the fritters with a slotted spoon to a tray with kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
- When they have been tempered, we transfer them to a plate with sugar, coat them in it and place them in a definitive source.
- In a few minutes the beignets will be ready.
It is a sweet dessert for apple and sugar and very soft, sweet wine or liquor adds a great touch to these apple bites. An authentic vice with which you can hardly contain, a delicious dessert. I assure you that they will not last long. You will tell me …
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album .