- 120 minutes
- For 10 people
- € 0.3 / person
- 390kcal per 100g.
How to make skeleton gingerbread cookies . The origin of this sweet recipe is in the ancient gingerbread or spice bread.
This began to prepare in France at the hands of French monks, to end up spreading throughout northern Europe. In countries like Germany, Belgium or Poland, gingerbread is prepared mainly on Christmas dates. Although with slight differences between them, the base is the same, a sponge cake or biscuits mainly with ginger and cinnamon .
The idea of shaping this spice bread as a little man seems to have come from the court of Elizabeth I of England. Gingerbreads were prepared in the shape of important guests arriving at court.
Whether this story is true or not, what we do know is that, today in many countries in northern Europe, this type of sweet is prepared. You can find it in all houses on dates such as Christmas, Easter or Halloween. It is common to also find cookie houses made with this bread or in the form of fun gingerbread cookies .
Today I want to give you a great idea to have fun and entertaining children at home. Together make some gingerbread cookies and decorate them with skeletons to celebrate Halloween. It is a very simple and quick to prepare cookie recipe, with a flavor sweetened with honey and flavored with spices.
We will decorate the cookies with icing in a very simple way. So we can only let our imagination run wild to prepare some gingerbread men decorated as skeletons of the most terrifying.
Preparation of Halloween cookie dough
- In a bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until we have a homogeneous cream.
- Add the egg and honey and beat well until all the ingredients are integrated.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients, flour, salt and spices, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Mix with a fork and add it to the egg cream and butter.
- With a fork we begin to mix all the ingredients until we have an irregular and loose dough. We put down the fork and turn to our hands. We compact the dough to form a ball that we flatten it and wrap it in transparent paper.
- We store the dough in the fridge so that it becomes hard and it is easier for us to roll it out later. This hardening process can take us 1 hour. We can also prepare the dough and leave it overnight for no problem.
- We take a part of the dough and stretch it with a rolling pin, placing it between 2 oven papers. If we want to make sure that all the cookies are the same thickness, we can use two sticks as a guide to support the roll. The thickness of the cookies should be about 0.5 or 0.6 cm.
Decorating and Baking Halloween Cookies
- With the cutter in the shape of a little man we make our cookies and place them directly on a baking tray. We collect the remains of the dough and repeat the operation.
- With the oven previously heat to 200ºC, with heat from above and below and without fan. Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes, until we see that they are slightly golden.
- We remove the cookies from the baking dish and let them cool on a rack.
- While they cool, prepare the icing to decorate the cookies. In other recipes I have already explained in more detail how to decorate your cookies . Today’s recipe is much simpler.
- In a bowl, beat the egg white for a few seconds, just enough to foam it, and add the icing sugar.
- It is essential to use icing sugar, not ground sugar at home, since icing sugar has starches in its preparation that we need for the optimal result of the icing.
- Mix with a fork until a cream has been created and add the vinegar droplets. To work these cookies, the icing must have a rather hard texture, like that of toothpaste, that nop shifts when drawing.
- The icing can also be prepared in advance, the time in the fridge will give it more shine.
- We put the icing in a bottle or in a small pastry bag and draw our skeletons on the completely cold cookies. We let it dry for a few hours in the open air before handling.
In a fun way we can prepare some very cool skeleton cookies at home, some terrifying ginberbread men .
Be sure to enjoy all these homemade Halloween cookies that we have in our dessert recipes and in the special Halloween recipes .