- 25 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 5 / person
- 290kcal per 100g.
How to make battered cocochas or kokotxas of hake.
One of the most appreciated products in the world of fish are cocochas or Kokotxas (in Basque), hake or cod .
We refer to a small part of these fish, located at the bottom of the chin. It is a delicate product and therefore delicious.
They were not always so highly valued in the kitchen. Due to their gelatinous texture, they were for many times a third-rate product, sold together with the viscera and roe.
At the time of preparing them, before cooking it is advisable to remove the “tails” or excess skin, keeping only the fleshy part.
Dishes with cocochas are traditional in Basque cuisine, and are highly appreciated on restaurant menus. Please note that there are only a couple of cocochas available for each piece of fish.
The most common elaborations are in green sauce , pilpil or simply battered, like today’s fish recipe . On the blog we have already prepared some delicious cod cocochas in green sauce , and now it’s the turn of the hake .
This is a very popular and versatile fish, with which we have already cooked many recipes. From better-known dishes such as Galician hake or seafood hake , to more daring recipes such as truffled crepes stuffed with hake . Ideas that will make your daily menu more interesting and tasty.
Preparation of the battered cocochas or Kokotxas of hake
- Before starting, we check the cocochas and remove the excess skin or “tails”. To keep the fleshy part.
- Being enough, it will take some time, but it is very simple.
- Peel the potatoes. We cut them in bakery (into slices), salt to taste and fry them in olive oil.
- While the potatoes are cooking, we go with the cocochas. We salt to taste, and batter.
- First we go through flour and then by beaten egg.
- In a frying pan with a sheet of extra virgin olive oil, we fry them round and round, until they take on a slight golden color. With one minute on each side they will be ready.
- We remove to a tray with absorbent paper to remove excess oil. We reserve.
- The plating is very simple. A base of baked potatoes and the battered cocochas on top.
A very simple dish to prepare, which is a real delicacy on the table.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of the battered cocochas recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and you will get some yummy cocochas.
Tips for some battered cocochas or kokotxas
- Hake cocochas is a delicate and rare product. In the Basque Country or Cantabria I do not think you will find problems to get them on a daily basis, but this is already more complicated in some areas of the rest of Spain.
- It is advisable to order them at the fish shop, or as a last option buy and freeze. In large stores and on dates marked as Christmas they usually have them cheaper.
- It is an expensive product, as it is a rare commodity, but it is worth indulging in and enjoying at home. With half a kilo (as in today’s recipe) it will reach 4 people, and adding a garnish will be enough for a good lunch or dinner.
- I recommend not spending time when cooking. They are very delicate and with little they will be ready.
- The most usual is to prepare them in green sauce, pilpil (taking advantage of their gelatin) or simply fried or breaded.