- 70 minutes
- For 6 people
- 1.6 € / person
- 325kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a stew of Andalusian chickpeas. In the autumn and winter months, if there is a recipe for star vegetables , it is certainly a good stew .
A dish that fits in wonderfully on the most miserable days, and they are one of those that I call “comforting”. The porridge usually prepares legumes, and then admits a host of ingredients.
Almost anything we can add to a pottage, and it will continue to be a spectacular dish. At home we always opt for chickpeas, a very versatile legume that always gives good results.
This Andalusian chickpea stew is a popular, traditional recipe, very widespread in that community. Depending on each province, each region, or even each house, we will find variants in its ingredients or in its preparation.
What I am sure of is that in all cases it is a dish that triumphs at the table. It can be taken as a “single dish”, and it would only be necessary to accompany it with good bread to complete the menu. It is also one of those that is left over from one day to the next, and the next day it is even richer, since it has thickened the stew broth a little more.
On the blog you will find more recipes for stew with chickpeas , such as the well-known vigil stew , typical of Easter, Galician-style with this turnip stew with chorizo , the classic stew with chickpeas and spinach or a totally vegetarian option with stew of chickpeas with vegetables . As you can see it is a dish that has conquered me.
Before cooking chick peas
- You can use dried or cooked chickpeas (to save time and work). You will find many varieties and sizes on the market, but the ones I usually use are the large-sized Castilian chickpeas, spherical in shape and a characteristic yellowish color.
- It is recommended to use dried chickpeas, since they allow you to control the salt point of the stew and avoid the treatments that the packaging brings.
- If we use the dried chickpeas, the day before (the day before) we put them in warm water with a handful of salt, and let them soak for at least 12 hours.
- Before cooking, wash them to remove possible impurities and that no spoiled chickpea is strained. We will only have to drain and set aside until we prepare the porridge.
- In the case of purchased, already cooked, it is necessary to wash them very well. So that there is no trace of the gelatin that surrounds the chickpeas. Add them at the end of the cooking of the stew, just so that they are well impregnated with the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
Preparation of the stew. Chickpea cooking
- The day before, the day before, we put the dried chickpeas to soak in warm water. We add a handful of salt, and leave at least 12 hours hydrating.
- The next day, we start by cooking the chickpeas, once drained. In a saucepan with plenty of water (two fingers above the ingredients), add the chickpeas, the carrot in quarters, two peeled garlic cloves and the bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, and then put on low heat. Salt lightly, cover and cook for about 90 minutes. We watch for any foam on the surface, and remove it. If you prefer the express pot, with 15/20 minutes the chickpeas would be ready.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, we go with the rest of the recipe. We cut the meat into cubes, salt to taste and brown it in a pan, with extra virgin olive oil. We reserve.
Preparation of Andalusian stew. Tasting
- Chop the chorizo into small cubes, and fry it for a minute in the same pan. We reserve until the end of the process.
- Chop the onion, pepper and garlic in brunoise (small dice). In the same pan, cook the vegetables over medium heat, for 10/15 minutes.
- It is time to add the meat. Mix and cook for a couple of minutes. Next we pour the white wine. We cut 10 more minutes.
- Once the chickpea cooking is finished, add the sofrito to the casserole. Peel the potatoes, dice them (similar in size to meat), and also add them to the casserole.
- We taste the broth, and we rectify with salt if necessary. This is for tastes, you know.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes over low heat. Finally, we add the chorizo to the stew, which we had reserved.
- With the fire off, let it rest another 10/15 minutes.
And now our chickpea stew is ready, which has brought us the truth. But all effort is compensated, you will see that it is a real “de chupete” platform. I hope you like it.
Be sure to enjoy all the stews, stews and yummy soups in our recipes for soups and stews. Also as always I recommend you, stop by our special of easy and cheap recipes .
You can see all the photos of the Andalusian stew recipe in this step by step.