- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.3 € / person
- 310kcal per 100g.
How to make vegetable puff pastry.
Today’s is a recipe with vegetables to look good, ideal for a dinner with friends or to surprise guests.
Forming a braid with the puff pastry is very cool, something that is much simpler than you can imagine.
This braid recipe allows us to take advantage of the remains of vegetables that we have in the fridge, what we have left from a rice , a ratatouille or other elaborations that do not require complete pieces. But it can also be prepared ex profeso, as we have done.
The filling is very juicy and the combination of vegetables that we recommend works like a charm.
It can be varied to taste, of course, and enriched with other varieties of vegetables or incorporate chopped nuts, other spices, caramelized onion , blue cheese or similar. The options are many and the perfect result in all cases.
It is a vegetarian version of the Wellington of a lifetime , so fill a puff pastry and cook it in the oven. It could also be the healthiest version of the puff pastry filled with meat that you can enjoy on the blog.
An option to prepare something nice and tasty to impress without spending big jobs. If we prepare it with homemade puff pastry, it is luxurious, but if we do not have time to cook and we want to make a delicious dish, the option to buy the dough is more than valid, the result will continue to be delicious.
Preparation of the filling vegetables
- We wash and dry the vegetables well.
- We cut the ends of the eggplant and discard them. We laminated, lengthwise, in slices 1 centimeter thick. We cut each slice into strips and then each strip into 1 × 1 cm dice.
- Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet and cook the eggplant cubes over low heat for 10 minutes. We add a little water so that the eggplant does not cling to the base.
- While the eggplant is poaching we remove the peduncle of the pepper and the seeds.
- We cut into strips 1 centimeter thick and then each strip into 1 × 1 cm cubes.
- Add to the pan with the eggplant, stir and cook for five minutes.
- We can add a little more oil, but it is preferable not to use more so that the vegetable mixture is not greasy.
- Meanwhile we remove the lower ends of the asparagus, the white part lasts. Then we cut the asparagus into 1 centimeter pieces.
- Add the chopped asparagus to the pan and sauté again for another five minutes.
- Finally we remove the ends of the zucchini and discard them. We laminated, lengthwise, in slices 1 centimeter thick. We cut each slice into strips and then each strip into 1 × 1 cm dice.
- Add the zucchini pieces to the pan and cook for five more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and wait for them to cool completely before filling the puff pastry with them.
Preparation of the puff pastry braid. Filling
- When the vegetables are very cold and proceed to assemble the puff pastry.
- We spread the puff pastry sheet on parchment paper and divide it into three equal parts, marking two parallel lines with the blunt side of a knife (it is not necessary to cut, just draw the lines so that the three parts are marked).
- We cut diagonal strips in the right and left sections of the puff pastry, leaving the central part intact, which is where we will place the filling. This looks much better in the step-by-step photos.
- Spread half of the grated cheese along the central part of the puff pastry and, on top of the cheese, place the fried and sautéed vegetables without reaching the top and bottom edges. Sprinkle with dried oregano.
- We close the puff pastry in the form of a braid, alternating the puff pastry strips on the left side with those on the right over the filling.
Baking of the vegetable puff pastry and final presentation
- Beat the egg and brush the puff pastry braid.
- We cover with the rest of the grated cheese.
- We place the vegetable braid on a baking sheet.
- We introduce in the lower part of the oven, preheated to 200º C with heat up and down, until the dough is golden. About 20 minutes.
- We remove from the oven and let it warm for a few minutes before serving.
If you still do not have it clear, I leave you a step by step in photos of this recipe for puff pastry stuffed with vegetables . Do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.
Tips for a perfect vegetable puff
- It is important that the vegetables are approximately the same size so that they cook equally and that the filling is neither greasy nor juices, because these would ruin the puff pastry.
- The puff pastry has to be very cold for it to hold firm and handle well. For this we have it in the fridge until the moment of cutting and filling.
- So that the base of the puff pastry is well done, it is convenient to place the tray in the lower part of the oven, where the heat reaches the base with more intensity.
- The filling can be enriched with more vegetables or vary those that we recommend for others such as carrots, squash, turnips, peas, etc. To taste.
- Although the touch of oregano is delicious, we can change it for a teaspoon of ground curry added to the filling while it sautées.