- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 2 / person
- 295kcal per 100g.
How to make Swedish style meatballs . The köttbullar , translated as meat buns are the typical Swedish meatballs and today we have prepared. It is a very simple meat recipe that admits few substantial variations, although it is true that each teacher has his booklet.
Surely many of us know of the existence of this recipe of Swedish origin. Not because of our last trip to Stockholm, but because it is on the menu of that furniture and accessories store for the house that has invaded our homes.
The reality is that it is one of the traditional Swedish dishes that mothers and grandmothers have always prepared. Each one contributing its touch, how could it be otherwise?
They are made with minced beef that, depending on the area of the country, is combined or not with pork. The meat is seasoned with black or white pepper and accompanied with onion, either chopped or grated. Traditionally they serve a meat sauce, mashed potatoes and sweet cranberry sauce, lingonsylt .
The combination is perfect and balanced. I assure you that the sauce of these meatballs will come out perfect with the steps that I present. The meatballs are great accompanied in each bite with each of the ingredients of the dish, the sauce, the mashed potato and the blueberry jam, without forgetting the unmistakable touch of dill so typical of Swedish cuisine.
Preparation of Swedish meatballs
- Peel and chop the onion into pieces as small as possible. In a bowl mix the minced beef and pork, the chopped onion, the vinegar, the whole egg, the salt and the pepper.
- We knead the ingredients until we have a homogeneous and well-distributed paste.
- With our hands we form some meat balls trying to make them more or less the same dimensions. We can coat the balls in flour before frying them but it is not mandatory.
- In a frying pan, heat a splash of oil with butter, about 15 grams. Add the meatballs when the pan is hot and seal them on all sides.
- We are removing to a tray with absorbent paper to remove excess fat. In the same pan, add the rest of the butter. When it will melt, add the flour to cook it with a pinch of salt.
- We constantly stir until the flour is cooked at the same time that we release the rest of the frying from the bottom of the pan.
Final cooking and presentation of Swedish meatballs
- Add the warm milk and stir constantly until a kind of béchamel is formed with the juice of the meatballs.
- We cook for a few minutes until it begins to boil. Add the meatballs to the sauce, sprinkle dill and let it cook for a few minutes and turn it off, reserving.
- We prepare a mashed potato for the accompaniment. For this we cook 2 peeled and chopped potatoes with salt until we see that they are ready, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them in a bowl. Add the butter nut and a pinch of dill.
- With a fork we are crushing the potatoes while the butter melts with its heat and is integrated into the whole mash.
- We serve the dish very hot accompanied by a serving of mashed potatoes and one or two tablespoons of hot blueberry jam.
It is a complete dish that does not need much more than a tomato salad to become a unique dish.
Simple recipe that I am sure you will like.
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes with meat that we have on the blog. You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.