- 30 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.7 € / person
- 215kcal per 100g.
How to prepare garlic chicken.
A classic in traditional Spanish cuisine. So much so that it is rare that the bar or restaurant does not have this dish on its menu, either as a cover or as a suggestion at the table.
Chicken is the star ingredient, flavored with herbs and, of course, with garlic. On the blog you have a lot of chicken recipes , I am the number one fan of this type of recipes, most are very simple and especially cheap. Perhaps this recipe with chicken is one of the most visited along with baked chicken with potatoes.
The chicken should have a uniform color, white or slightly yellowish, without spots, which will be indicative of a fresh piece. It is a low fat meat with great nutritional value. Very easy to digest and it can also be prepared in a thousand ways.
And it is that this recipe reminds of childhood, to prepare something easy to eat on Sunday and that the whole family liked. If my grandmother Lucrecia gave us a free-range chicken, one of those fed like one more from home, the result was delicious.
That sauce that was left of the frying, with the minced and flaked garlic, and with a touch of vinegar for the most daring, delighted a good piece of bread. If they let you put it in the pan directly, it was already the glory.
As you can see we have in this recipe a couple of very healthy ingredients, I encourage you to prepare it since, in addition to being very simple and fast, I am sure that it will hook you. You will tell me.
Preparation of chicken stewed with garlic
- The first thing we do when buying the chicken is ask the butcher to cut it for us. At home, we clean the pieces of fat residue well and remove the skin except for the wings.
- Removing the skin is optional, but I think adding unnecessary fat to the plate. Season the pieces lightly.
- In a wide saucepan, heat the olive oil abundantly and add the garlic without peeling.
- We cook them over medium heat, pending that they do not burn us. The idea is that they are caramelized and that they serve as a flavoring for our oil. When we see that they are soft after about 5 minutes, we remove them and reserve.
- Add the chicken pieces to the casserole with the garlic flavored oil, along with the bay leaf, the rosemary branch and the thyme.
- The chicken should be well fried, which will take us at least 15 to 20 minutes. We have to be aware of giving it back to the pieces from time to time to ensure that it is toasted everywhere.
- It is not just a matter of browning and sealing it like when we prepare it for a stew. What we want is for the chicken to be perfectly cooked and tender on the inside and toasted on the outside.
Final preparation of the garlic chicken
- When we see that our meat is almost ready, we remove the excess oil. Add again the garlic that we have reserved and add the wine.
- We continue to cook the meat until the wine is almost completely reduced.
- If we do not have sherry, we can perfectly use any other quality white wine that we have at home. An Albariño, a Godello … Jerez gives it a particular touch, but with any of these it will look great.
- We serve warm on the table with a little chopped parsley on top or coriander. We can only enjoy this authentic “platform”.
Pour a little of the sauce that will remain in the saucepan on top. Don’t forget a good piece of bread to taste this chicken, wine and garlic sauce. Delicious.
I encourage you to try it at home, a recipe from my mother. You can see all the photos of the step by step of this chicken with garlic in this album.
Tips for a chicken with yummy garlic
- If it is a little dry, you can always add a little chicken broth to your garlic chicken in sauce in addition to the white wine that the recipe has. Although in this case I assure you that if you follow the recipe step by step it will be perfect.
- As you can see, the chicken is skinless except for the wings. If you do not care, it would leave a little more frying so that the skin of the chicken is as crispy as possible, the fat that will be released in the sauce will also give more flavor.
- There are those who pass the chicken through flour before frying it to seal the chicken, but in my case I think it is not necessary, we will only get it to absorb even more oil.
- The touch of vinegar, that acidic point is great but it is optional. At the end of everything, when finished cooking the chicken, a chorretín only. Don’t be brave to me.
- The garnish to accompany this dish can be a simple mixed salad. Almost on the subject of balancing the plate. But the garlic chicken is crying out for fries, bakery potatoes or potatoes a la poor , don’t you think?
- Other simple garnishes would be stewed mushrooms with peas, white rice , or mashed potatoes .
- The microwaved potatoes that we have already prepared several times on the blog are also like a finger ring. An almost fat-free side idea, a good choice.