- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 4 / person
- 320kcal per 100g.
How to make scallops in Cabrales. A delicious recipe that is undoubtedly one of the most traditional recipes of Asturian cuisine .
It is a dish that you will find safe in practically every food house or restaurant in the region, a classic that is very present in the daily life of the Asturian community.
As basic premises for a good portion of scallops in Cabrales are quality meat and getting a balanced sauce with Cabrales cheese, not very liquid or lumpy, with its characteristic flavor without the meat being hidden .
The Cabrales cheese is one of the many made in Asturias, perhaps the best known outside its borders, typical of the Cabrales council and which has had a designation of origin since 1981.
It is a blue cheese that is made by hand from cow, sheep and goat milk and has its maturation process in caves located in the Picos de Europa.
The end result is a cheese with a pungent, creamy, creamy and bluish-green odor when ripe. This cheese is perfect to take spread on bread with cider or to prepare this type of dish, as an accompaniment to meat.
If you are one of those who loves this cheese and are looking for an excuse to visit Asturias, the last Cabrales Cheese Contest is held in Arenas de Cabrales on the last Sunday of August. So you know, see you in Asturies !
And remember that if you like Asturian cuisine on the blog you can find a lot of recipes. In Asturias, you not only eat well, but also in abundance. In addition to being a natural paradise, it is accompanied by a great companion, its enviable gastronomy.
Preparation of the scallops. Cleaning, battering and frying
- We marinate the scallops with garlic and parsley and let them marinate for 2 or 3 hours.
- Remove the garlic and parsley and, while heating 5 or 6 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan, salt and coat the scallops.
- We pass the escalopines through the classic batter, passing them through flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
- The flour helps the egg adhere better to the meat, and the egg acts as a glue to fix the breadcrumbs.
- There are those who give one cape and there are those who prefer to use two. It is best to coat in a single layer so that it is not too thick. Thus they are lighter and absorb less oil in frying.
- For frying we are interested in oils with a high smoke point that oxidize (burn) less.
- This depends on the quality of the oil we use. I recommend a mild extra virgin olive oil, for example an arbequina. These oils will allow us to fry at a high temperature. We will get a crispy breading after a short process, so the interior will be juicier.
- When we have all the scallops prepared we heat plenty of oil in a pan and fry them at medium-high temperature. Always in small batches so as not to excessively lower the oil temperature.
- It is important that the oil is not very hot when frying, so we avoid that they are very toasted on the outside and raw on the inside. We cook them 2 minutes on each side.
- We remove to a tray with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil. We reserve.
Preparation of the scallops in Cabrales. Salsa and final presentation
- To prepare the cheese sauce we start by peeling and cutting the onion in brunoise, into small cubes.
- Fry the onion in a frying pan with 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- We cook it at medium-low temperature until it is very soft, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the wine to the sauce. We let the alcohol evaporate before incorporating the crumbled Cabrales cheese.
- With the help of a wooden spoon we help the cheese to melt while cooking with the onion.
- When the cheese has been completely discarded, add the milk. We cook over medium heat until we see that it has begun to thicken.
- We check the salt and add if necessary.
- We have to take into account that as the sauce is tempered it will thicken a little so it does not need to be too thick for it to be ready.
- Add the scallops that we have reserved to the pan and heat them for 4 or 5 minutes with the sauce.
- You will see how you prepare them several times at home for dinner because they are fast and very simple.
If you like this type of meat cut to accompany your dishes, you can find a lot of sirloin recipes that are sure to succeed at home.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.
More Asturian recipes options for yummy
- A beef cachopo will not disappoint you if you like meat, if you like the spoon, you can not miss trying its famous fabada , its world famous fabes with clams or those spectacular verdinas , to open your mouth, you have their buns pregnant or some stuffed onions (the ones I like the most are with bonito, but you also have them with meat).
- To end a gastronomic day that you will not forget, its desserts, the richest rice pudding that you have ever tasted or Pravia’s tocinillo de cielo . And of course a good coffee or infusion must be accompanied by some Muscovites or some Casadielles or Casadiella .
- There are a lot of recommendations that you should not miss trying in Asturias or at home, why not?