- 20 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 0.55 / person
How about a classic dessert like a strawberry mousse with a cheery, colorful twist on some chocolate candy ? The ideal pairing, soft and fluffy fruit mousse with the crunchy touch of chocolate from chopped M & M’s. If that mousse is also strawberry and the milk chocolate M & M’s the success is assured, the chocolate with strawberries make this dessert almost irresistible .
On the blog we have few mousses and the one with the most success is the chocolate with orange , another winning duo. The truth is that making a mousse at home is very easy, it always gives that dessert that we are preparing a different touch, like more category. The first time a mousse appeared on a cookbook was in 1755 by a French chef named Menon. The word mousse is of French origin and means foam , hence its name for this dessert. In fact, the base of this recipe is the egg white mounted to the point of snow, which will give this dessert a fluffy consistency, the tiny bubbles of this meringue give it its characteristic airy texture. From there you can prepare multiple variations: chocolate, fruit or coffee (the most classic), and even salty with vegetables and fish.
For today’s dessert we have used one of the M & M’s varieties, its milk chocolate pearls dipped with a characteristic colored caramel. In this brand they have several options that we can perfectly use to decorate a multitude of desserts. On your website you will find a lot of ideas to prepare at home, for example this puff pastry filled with chocolate and M & M’s , just as easy as today’s mousse. I leave you with this combination of strawberries with chocolate , a very fun sweet with the crunchy touch of the candy coating that will delight children and adults. The different colors of the chocolates will appear as we eat our mousse, super fun, colorful and very rich.
Preparation of strawberry and chocolate mousse
- We start assembling the cream or milk cream. We are going to need 75 g. of sugar and 200 ml of whipping cream or milk, that is, it has a high fat content. Try the strawberries or strawberries first because if they are very sweet we will not need as much sugar. To assemble the cream I use the mixer with the accessory of electric rods, it is more comfortable than with manual rods, although it can be done with both.
- We will use a large bowl, it is important that it is cold, like the cream or milk cream that must come out of the fridge. The cream is fat and if it gets hot it loses consistency so if it is not cold it will be difficult for it to rise as we want, if it rises. The ideal temperature is about 10º C. We put the cold cream in the bowl and beat for 3-4 minutes until it goes liquid to a kind of cream, with a little foam. Once we have reached this kind of dense liquid cream, we add the sugar, if it is glass better. We beat until it reaches almost solid state. Easy, right? I assure you that with the recommendation to have all our ingredients cold it turns out perfect. You can also buy the whipped cream, there are many very good brands, although the price of the dessert increases. We reserve
- In another bowl we will mount the egg whites until stiff with the help of a whisk. We add a little salt (a pinch only) and in the middle of the process add the sugar little by little and continue beating until we have a meringue of a fairly hard consistency. The trick to make them perfect and fit without problem is to use a bowl without any remaining fat and the whites at room temperature. We keep it in the fridge.
- We wash, chop and crush the strawberries. We reserve them.
- We put three quarters of our M & M’s in a plastic bag and break them by hitting them with the edge of a knife, hammer or mortar. They do not need to be crushed, the idea is that they are broken into 3 or 4 parts to find them crispy in each tablespoon.
- We mix all the ingredients. We must join the creams (whipped cream and meringue) gently with a silicone spatula, incorporate the crushed strawberries and the chopped M & M’s with enveloping movements from the bottom up to avoid dismounting our mousse. You have to do it smoothly and without haste, only with patience it will be perfect.
- We serve in the final service glasses and store in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving, even better that it rests all night.
- We decorate sprinkling with the M & M’s as is or with those that we have previously chopped, the combination with the strawberry cream is beastly. You can also add them to the base of the container, as you like.
- Remember that for us not to get any strange odor in the fridge you have to cover it with transparent film or aluminum foil.
To enjoy! There is usually nothing left over, I assure you.