- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.7 € / person
- 255kcal per 100g.
How to make a prawn cream. A perfect seafood recipe to stay in a special meal like a real chef.
It is a very grateful seafood cream and I would say simple, because with few ingredients and not much money we will cook a delicious cream. It can be prepared with frozen prawns, prawns or prawns.
In addition, we are going to take advantage of the shrimp to extract all its sea flavor, obtaining a powerful and subtle cream.
In one of the cooking courses I attended, they taught me how to make the most of all the shrimp. From the head to the body shell and tail, even preparing shrimp-flavored oils .
In several renowned restaurants, including a Michelin star, we can eat a whole Denia red shrimp with different types of crispness and texture. It is a way I would say, even economical to use the ingredient and get more out of it.
The rest of the ingredients that accompany this simple cream are some vegetables and a smoky touch of our paprika from La Vera. A base cream that accepts a multitude of variations and all are equally good. You can add other fish and even give it more flavor with a good fish and seafood fumet .
I hope you dare to prepare it at home and that it is one of those recipes that you love when your mother or mother-in-law comes.
A first class for a special occasion or just because, every day we deserve something good, beautiful and tasty, yummy.
Before cooking, preparing the prawns
- For this recipe you can choose prawns, prawns or prawns, the preparation is valid for these types of seafood, choose depending on the recipe.
- I like prawns more and I recommend that they be frozen from a quality brand.
- For less than 10 euros you can find half a kilo without problem. I have even bought a box at the supermarket next to my house, and 800 gr. at 7 euros, you will always find an offer close to these dates.
- If you opt for frozen prawns, let them thaw well the day before in the fridge so that they can be handled the next day. We peel them, remove the head and the shell that protects them.
- We start with the head that is the one that has the most flavor, making a simple rotation we easily detach it, we reserve it.
- Then, from the bottom of the belly, where the legs are, we remove with our hands the different rings or shell that cover the body along with the legs.
- Do not throw away the shells because they will serve to make our cream. Once the prawns are peeled we must remove the intestine (a black thread that they have inside) that we must remove helping us with a toothpick or with the tip of a knife.
- With the toothpick we prick the end of the intestine that is visible and pull it. It should come out whole, as if it were a thread, without opening the shrimp, so that it does not lose juice and flavors during the preparation.
- It is thrown because it tastes bitter and can bring sand or the last thing the prawn ate.
- We dry and reserve the prawns for grilling at the end of the seafood cream preparation.
Preparation of the prawn broth
- With the remains of the prawns (the shells and the head, not the meat of the shrimp) we are going to transfer them to a pan with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the heads and bodies of the prawns. We give it a couple of laps until they change color.
- It’s time to flambé, pour the brandy or cognac and set it on fire (always with the extractor hood off). We stir until the flame goes out. We reserve.
- Peel the onions and cut into two. Finely chop julienne and add to a saucepan with a finger of extra virgin olive oil. Brown over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile we wash, peel and chop the carrots. We do the same with leeks and garlic cloves.
- Add water until it covers half the casserole. That is to say, in the casserole will be the remains of prawns, brandy, extra virgin olive oil, onion, carrots, leeks, garlic and water to make the broth. It only remains to add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. We cook everything for 20 minutes.
- Once we have all the flavors integrated we give it a crushed with the mixer. Strain with a fine strainer and remove possible remains of the broth, we want it to be clean without any remains of shells.
- We only want the strained broth from the casserole, we will not take advantage of the vegetables or the remains of the prawns, all its flavor will be in the broth. We reserve.
Preparation of the cream of prawns
- Cut the bread into thin slices and put them in a clean saucepan with a little oil. We stir at medium temperature until we see that it begins to brown. We add a teaspoon of dessert with paprika from La Vera (not too full, flush, with a touch is enough). We remove everything by bringing the flavors together.
- Add the prawn broth that we have reserved. Let cook until the bread is all soft and helps thicken the mixture. About 10 minutes over medium heat would be advisable. We must stir from time to time so that it does not stick to the casserole.
- We taste of salt and if necessary, season with salt and pepper. We only have to pass the mixer until we get a creamy texture. If the cream is a little fat we can add a little liquid cream to reduce and help bind.
Final preparation and presentation of the prawn cream
- In the final process of the cream we are going to prepare the grilled prawns that we have reserved to accompany the cream.
- Brush a frying pan with extra virgin olive oil and when it starts to smoke we pass the prawns. We cook in just a minute and a half, without going too far, just enough for them to turn pink.
- We choose a nice deep plate or bowl. And finally we add 1 or 2 tablespoons of very hot cream and accompany with the prawns.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped fresh parsley and enjoy.
I assure you that it is a luxury dish, very simple and easy to cook. You can see all the photos of the prawn cream recipe in this album.