- 45 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 5 / person
- 223kcal per 100g.
How to prepare monkfish in sauce . When I was little I always asked for the fish tail, I remember that my grandmother kept me the tail of the breaded hake or the tails of the monkfish in sauce. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
Today I propose you a magnificent recipe for fish with monkfish in a sauce made with bread and dips, a monkfish in almond sauce. I have bought monkfish tails to prepare a recipe that my grandmother made when the grandchildren went to her house, we all loved monkfish tails and she has always been careful to please us.
But today I am going to prepare this fish for the son of a good friend, it could be said that it is not one of the big eaters that we all would like to have. But I am sure that the monkfish tails will not fail me and we are going to get this little one to eat fish with pleasure. If you are going to eat the adults too.
You can buy a small or medium monkfish and a few monkfish tails separately, otherwise they will be too small.
In the blog you will have seen that I am a great fan of this fish, you have from a tartar , stews , a monkfish grilled , with a monkfish in walnut sauce and to give a flavor of 10 points to a good rice with monkfish .
The best thing about this fish is its gelatinous meat and absent of bones that makes it a very appreciated snack in the kitchens and on the palates, perfect for the little ones at home to be fond of eating fish. It has a pleasant seafood flavor, with a very peculiar, compact and especially tasty texture. A perfect way to win over your guests.
Before preparing monkfish in sauce
- The night before, we thawed the monkfish tails or the whole monkfish in the fridge, covered.
- If it is frozen fish, thaw the monkfish tails without the container in the fridge if possible. We do it in a container with a grid so that the defrosting juices are set aside.
- Defrosting overnight is best, but in a pinch, we can defrost quickly with cold water. Never hot water because it would pre-cook the fish and it would be hard afterwards.
- Once thawed, we clean the monkfish tails by removing the ribs that are stuck to the meat. Remember that this fish releases a lot of water. So it is necessary that we remove as much water as possible, we can help ourselves with a kitchen cloth or paper.
- Season the monkfish tails with salt and pepper.
- In a low saucepan we put a little extra virgin olive oil. We heat and brown the monkfish tails. When they are ready we remove them and reserve.
Preparation of monkfish in almond sauce
- Chop the onion with a good knife. The other option so that we have some very small pieces is to do it with the blender. This way we will make it almost impossible to see it in the sauce but its flavor.
- We remove the remains of frying from the casserole and in that same oil we put to brown the onion. We prepare a mashed with garlic and parsley. We add it to the sofrito with onion, stir and let it cook over medium heat.
- When everything is golden we add the ground almond and, without stopping stirring, we fry it all for a minute. We add the white wine and stirring well we let it reduce.
- For this recipe, if we have a budget and use fresh monkfish, we can prepare a good fish broth . We prepare it with the head, the gelatinous skin, the cuts of the back and its bones. And with this precious liquid we will make a light almond sauce.
- This will give the dish the maximum flavor without depriving the fish of the prominence it deserves. You can follow the steps in this video to prepare fumet at home and you can freeze it for other recipes.
Final preparation and presentation of monkfish in sauce
- Next we pour the fish broth. We remove and let it reduce to medium heat for 7 minutes.
- Add the monkfish tails and let it integrate with the almond sauce. We cook everything together for 6 or 7 minutes over medium heat. Remove from the heat and serve immediately in a large platter or dish.
- We place a little almond sauce on the base, on top the pieces of monkfish and on top sprinkle a little parsley and ground almond on the final plating.
- Do not forget a good loaf of bread, that the sauce is scandalous. The rest of the sauce can be served in a gravy boat, it is delicious. To the table!
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes for fish and seafood that we have on the blog.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of the monkfish recipe in almond sauce in this album.
Tips for a monkfish in a yummy sauce
- The best season to acquire monkfish is the months of April and May, but as I always say, frozen fish should not be underestimated.
- Both its flavor and its price will be to everyone’s liking and we continue with our low cost cuisine.
- In addition, frozen fish prevent anisakis infection . To eliminate this parasite, it would be convenient to freeze the fish for 5 days, if it is in a home refrigerator.