- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.8 € / person
- 290kcal per 100g.
How to make vegetables stir-fried in the wok .
This recipe with vegetables and prawns is very simple, healthy, light and above all very tasty. I am sure you will like them. Also to make this recipe I have used one of my favorite utensils, the wok .
Cooking in wok is a quick, simple and very healthy cooking technique that, in addition to respecting the nutritional value of food, enhances its flavor.
On the blog you can find several recipes that I love, from some stir-fried chicken noodles , some delicious fried Chinese noodles to the famous Peruvian chaufa rice .
The best thing about cooking with a wok is that you manage to keep the fish and meat crisp and the vegetables smooth , preserving all their aromas and nutritional properties.
With this utensil the concepts ‘low fat’ and ‘delicious flavor’ usually go together. You can see for yourself with this recipe.
In this recipe I use prawns because they tend to be bigger, but if you have good prawns they can be luxurious. If you want a vegetarian recipe you only have to avoid seafood and you will get a delicious dish as well.
There are a lot of varieties of prawns in our markets and supermarkets.
The most frequent is usually the common prawn and its meat is highly appreciated, consistent, fine and tasty. As they are not badly priced, this dish is perfect, I hope you like it.
Before cooking, preparing the prawns or prawns
Although the recipe is done in nothing since cooking with the wok is 15 minutes, we have to spend a little more time to have the clean prawns that we can then use for other recipes.
- For this recipe you can choose to use prawns or prawns, the preparation is valid for both types of seafood.
- I like prawns more and I recommend that they be fresh, for less than 10 euros you can find half a kilo without problem, although frozen ones are quite cheap.
- If you opt for frozen ones, let them thaw well the day before in the fridge so that they can be handled the next day.
- We peel them, remove the head and the shell that protects them.
- Once the prawns are peeled we must remove the intestine (a black thread that they have inside) that we must remove with the help of a toothpick or the tip of a knife. With the toothpick we prick the end of the intestine that is visible and pull it.
- It should come out whole, as if it were a thread, without opening the shrimp, so that it does not lose juice and flavors during the preparation. It is thrown because it has a bitter taste and can bring sand.
- We dry and reserve the prawns. We can use the head and tail to make a flavored oil and shrimp fumet.
- The “head” is the pereion, the “tail” is the pleon, the “hoof” is the telson and the “venita” is the intestine, technical names of the shrimp for what I have mentioned before.
Preparation of vegetables to wok with prawns
- Peel the onion, carrots and peppers (remember to wash the vegetables before) and cut into very thin strips, making sure that the cut size is homogeneous in all of them.
- We will cut the cabbage into strips a little wider since it has a lot of water and it stays in nothing.
- We put the wok over high heat and when we see that it is very hot, add the extra virgin olive oil and sesame oil and distribute it over the entire surface.
- In oriental cuisine, seeds are usually used, but I almost always cook with olive.
- We want to sauté the vegetables, not cook them, so we must cook with a high and live fire, thus we will ensure that our vegetables are kept crisp and full of flavor.
- When it starts to smoke add the peppers and carrots in sticks. Being so thin, it only takes 4 or 5 minutes for them to be “al dente”. Once the process is complete, we reserve.
- We repeat the sautéing operation with the rest of the vegetables, the cabbage and the onion previously cut. Once it is ready we reserve them.
- Later we sauté the prawns in the same wok where we have prepared the vegetables, brown for a minute until they change color.
- Finally on the same wok, we throw all the ingredients and add the soy sauce.
- We remove to integrate and remove from the fire. At this point we will test to check the degree of salt. The one that the soy sauce will bring to the plate may be enough, otherwise we add the one that is necessary.
Preparation of basmati rice and final presentation of stir fry
- To finish, we prepare a good basmati or thai rice that will suit this dish. In this case we have used Sundari basmati rice that always gives us such a good result.
- We put it to cook with 450 g. of water with a pinch of salt, with the pot covered and over low heat.
- It is important that we wash the rice beforehand to eliminate part of the starch. Cook the rice for about 18 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the rice is done.
- We serve the vegetables accompanied by a portion of rice covered in lime zest and sesame seeds. We present hot in a platter or individual dishes. I assure you that you will repeat.
- When you finish using the wok remember to clean it still on the fire. We will do it with water and a soft brush or special vitro scourer (that does not spoil it).
- We dry with kitchen paper with a few drops of oil over its entire surface. So we will have it in perfect condition until the next use.
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes for fish and seafood that we have on the blog.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in this recipe album of sautéed vegetables and prawns .