- 30 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.3 € / person
- 340kcal per 100g.
How to prepare broken eggs with ham .
When I ask at home what I prepare for dinner, that I have a good day and that I prepare whatever they want…. only broken eggs rival the omelette.
When we play with these ingredients, potatoes, eggs and onion can only come out a good thing. And in this case accompanied with ham and roasted peppers nothing can go wrong. Don’t you think it’s fabulous?
This dish is very popular in Spanish gastronomy and allows us a multitude of varieties.
There are many types of broken or crashed eggs, they combine great with a lot of ingredients, and you will find many examples on the blog: with mushrooms , with eels , with tomato and Idiazabal cheese , with chistorra , with octopus … even on toasts . What are your favorites? ?
If the history of the ” broken or broken eggs ” dates back to 1846, Richard Ford , an English traveler and Hispanicist, talks about them in the book ” Gathering from Spain “.
In his chapter on Spanish cuisine he points out that fried eggs are at all times the most humble cuisine resource, accompanied with lean bacon or ham they are called lean eggs .
We can even see them as fried eggs in Velázquez’s famous painting “Old frying eggs” and Lope de Vega writes about them in a letter to the Duke of Sessa.
Another great master with the pseudonym Picadillo, in his book La cocina Practica or D. Angel Muro in his Practicón already mentioned how to make fried eggs almost perfectly.
A dish so humble that it does not appear in any of the great baroque cookery books. With the passage of time this dish has earned a place among the simplest and most exquisite delicacies of our wide gastronomy.
And in each house they are made in one way or another, I leave you mine, which is in the style of Madrid cuisine. Fried eggs in a pan, usually accompanied by fried bakery potatoes and some ham.
I hope you like them and prepare them at home, do not stop telling me your secrets to improve the recipe, thank you.
Preparation of broken or crashed eggs with ham
- We peel the potatoes, wash them in cold water and cut them into half centimeter slices, that is, bakery potatoes.
- You can also cut them into strips, the result is similar although less attractive when presenting the dish. We dry the potatoes with absorbent kitchen paper and reserve.
- We put a very large frying pan on the fire with the olive oil. Heat the oil, add a piece of potato and when bubbles come out, add the rest. Fry over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes.
- It is important that they are not very crispy but also not cooked, you have to click to know when they are at that midpoint.
- We remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and drain them well.
- Season with salt and pepper and reserve in a source. We remove the oil from the pan. You can use this oil perfectly for other recipes.
- For this recipe we prepare the lightly caramelized onion with a little bit of honey, very little, just to give it a slight sweet flavor. We have to peel them and cut them into very thin slices.
- In the same frying pan that we used to fry the potatoes add a little olive oil and always over low heat add all the onion. When we see that it begins to release water, we raise the temperature a little so that it browns.
- We lower the heat and season with salt and pepper, stir with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes and add 1 tablespoon of honey.
- We remove to caramelize and when we see that the honey is sticking to the onion we remove to a plate.
Final presentation of the broken eggs with ham
- The key point of the recipe is in the eggs. Add to the same pan 1 tablespoon of oil from the potatoes and fry the eggs without finishing curdling. They should not be too cooked (the yolk should be liquid).
- Add the onion and potatoes to the pan and break the eggs with a wooden spoon.
- We open a can with piquillo peppers, in this case with garlic. Cut into slices to decorate the dish.
- We present these broken eggs in a large plate with some slices of ham.
- We place the strips of roasted pepper and garnish with a little chopped parsley.
This dish must be served immediately and very hot. I hope you like it. Bo provided!
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.
Where are the best broken or crashed eggs eaten?
- And if there is no desire at home to prepare them, I recommend you stop by Casa Toñita or A Porta da Aira (Ourense) or, of course, by Casa Lucio , the legendary restaurant of Cava Baja, which embroiders this dish.
- Lucio Blázquez arrived in Madrid, coming from Serranillos (Ávila) and worked in several Madrid restaurants. In 1975 Casa Lucio appeared with his star dish, Lucio comments that this dish was “invented” by his grandmother, every time an egg fell on the ground he would pick it up and break it on top of the potatoes to take advantage of it.