- 40 minutes
- For 2 persons
- 4.2 € / person
In my opinion, cod is one of the most versatile fish when it comes to cooking. There are endless possibilities to prepare this seafood product at home, whether in the most traditional style such as cod in pilpil , cod in Bras or Gomes de Sá , Portuguese contributions to gastronomy, such as cod croquettes , meatballs , in omelette or empanada , the options are many and all super tasty and interesting.
Today we have prepared a salted cod accompanied by an aromatic and delicate saffron sauce, a saffron cod . Although it is not an inexpensive dish, since both cod and saffron are not cheap products, we have decided on the combination of these two powerful and specific flavors. The result is a very aromatic and very tasty dish , which exchange their flavors, the cod is imbued with the characteristic flavor of saffron and the saffron sauce is perfectly linked with the point of salt of the fish.
The process is very simple, it is about lightly browning the cod, once desalted and floured, and letting it finish cooking in a sauce where saffron is the most characteristic ingredient. It is an easy and quick recipe that will make you look like kings on any occasion.
Preparation of cod with saffron
- Before we start with the dish we have to desalinate the cod. For this we put it to soak in cold water for not less than 48 hours. We have to renew the water, changing it for a new and clean one at least 2 times a day. I advise you to keep the cod in the fridge during this process to avoid spoiling it, especially in hot weather.
- Peel the onion and the garlic clove and cut the julienned onion and the garlic in cubes and reserve it.
- Flour the cod loins with the flour and brown them in a wide skillet with two tablespoons of olive oil. We brown the loins on all sides until they begin to take color. It is not necessary to fry them until they are fully cooked. It is about browning and removing them from the pan, then we will continue cooking accompanied by the sauce.
- Once the cod is removed and in the same pan add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Heat the oil and brown the julienned onion and garlic. Cook over low heat until the onion is tender. At that time add the teaspoon of cornstarch and brown for 1 minute.
- Add the saffron threads and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and the cod fillets and let the alcohol evaporate from the wine for 2 minutes. Add the water or the fish stock and cook for 10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to help the sauce finish binding.
I recommend you accompany this dish with some cooked potatoes that we can add to the stew in the last 5 minutes. You will be left with a different cod dish, very aromatic and tasty, with a touch of color and special flavor, which will bring you the saffron.
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes for fish and seafood that we have on the blog, I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to make yours much happier. You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.