- 30 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 2 / person
- 295kcal per 100g.
How do Russian steak with tomato sauce .
Many times we complicate our lives looking for new, rich and healthy recipes when we have the solution on the plates of a lifetime.
These Russian steaks with tomato, basil and potatoes are an easy lunch or dinner of a lifetime, one of my favorite recipes and that I did not have on the blog yet.
In the USA they are called Salisbury Steak or Hamburger Steak (Hamburg fillet) and in Spain their name is Russian Fillet , although they only have the name of Russians.
They are also known as Frikadeller or Danish Frikadelas , in the north of Germany it is eaten with the name of labskaus , and in almost all of Russia we find it as the famous spicy and seasoned meat dish, the so-called steak tartar .
Russian steaks are an intermediate step between a hamburger and some meatballs , although they are more similar to the latter in their preparation.
Perfect for taking them both freshly made and overnight. Do not you fancy? How do you prepare them?
Preparation of Russian fillets
- First we make the meat balls that we will then crush.
- Season the minced meat in a large bowl and break the egg.
- We add it together with the 2 slices of bread (without the crust and previously soaked in milk for a few seconds).
- Then the basil, chopped into large pieces, and the minced or crushed garlic.
- We remove everything well with the hands until the ingredients are mixed. This will be the basis of our future Russian steaks.
- With the meat dough we make small balls (or large, that to taste).
- Then we will crush with the palms of our hands until we obtain the desired thickness. We leave them on a plate waiting for the pan or casserole
- When it is hot, we fry the Russian fillets in batches in a saucepan that we will then use to make the sauce with tomato and onion, lightly browning them on both sides.
- About two minutes on each side is more than enough.
- We remove them from the fire, and deposit them on kitchen paper to absorb excess fat. We reserve.
Preparation of micro potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small pieces.
- In a microwave safe container. Add the potatoes, the extra virgin olive oil, the peppers and salt.
- We remove everything with a ladle or with our hands to mix it well and for the ingredients to come together.
- We put the micro for 10-15 minutes at maximum temperature. The container must be covered by the lid of the mike, since a lot of water will come out that the potatoes release during cooking.
- Remember that the recipe is for 4, if we make for more or less, we have to vary the preparation time in the micro.
- Every 5 minutes, we remove from the micro taking care not to burn ourselves. We stir with the ladle so that they are done evenly.
- In the same way we are clicking to see how they are since, depending on the type of potato, they can be done before.
- If we notice that the potato when pricked is not hard we can remove them. Even test to see if they are on point.
- Once done, let it rest for about 5 minutes before serving on the plate. Remember that we can tune this type of potatoes with the spices that we like the most.
Preparation of tomato sauce and final assembly
- Chop the onion very fine. We poach it in the same saucepan, with the same virgin olive oil that we have used to fry the Russian fillets. It should be transparent and tender.
- We introduce the Russian fillets in the poached onion and add the homemade tomato sauce.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes. Just enough to reduce the tomato and make the sauce a little thick.
- We taste of salt and if necessary we add at the end.
- We serve hot with the potatoes on the side, just delicious.
Remember that they are much richer if they are prepared the day before, since the rest settles the flavors, they are delicious. Good week cooks!
Tips for some Russian fillets in a yummy sauce
- They are prepared with your favorite minced meat (usually beef), egg, breadcrumbs, garlic and parsley, although these classic ingredients can be varied to make the meat juicier.
- If you really like the flavor of spices, you can add a teaspoon of dessert with your favorite spices to the meat.
- This will enhance the flavor of the steak much more and give it an exotic touch. This is a tip for the most daring.
- This recipe is an important source of protein, so accompanied by bread, potatoes and a good salad, it is a very complete lunch or dinner.
- This dish has many versions, I for example do not coat the fillets in flour or breadcrumbs and accompany it with a good homemade fried tomato and fried potatoes (in the micro, with very little oil).
- One of those recipes to take to work or school , easy to transport and pack and can be heated in the microwave.