- 25 minutes
- For 4 people
- 3.3 € / person
- 270kcal per 100g.
How to make homemade Russian steaks.
The Russian steaks arrived long before the burgers .
We could say that they were their ancestors and although little by little they have been forgotten, it is a recipe that we like to recover because they are very rich.
Although they look alike, they have a very tasty and different taste than the burgers we know today.
Russian fillets first appear in the Larousse gastronomique of 1936 , although this type of meat recipes have always been very popular throughout Europe.
Also known as Frikadeller or Frikadelas , labskaus , and in almost all of Russia we find it as the famous spicy and seasoned meat dish, steak tartar .
Being the Tartars who introduced it to Europe in the Middle Ages and then re-emerged in the nineteenth century as a clear benchmark of the new European cuisine.
In fact, they are prepared practically the same as meatballs, so we can take advantage to buy more meat and prepare both. This way we make sure we always have reservations in the freezer.
How it happens with the meatloaf in each house they have their secret to prepare them. To our Russian fillets we have added the raw chives cut very fine because it gives a crispy touch that we really like.
But if we prefer, we can poach it in a frying pan before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients. Another formula is to coat them with flour, bread and eggs before frying. Be that as it may, the Russian steaks are always delicious.
Preparation of homemade Russian steaks
- We soak the bread with the milk and leave it until the crust softens, we can use sliced bread or whole wheat bread, cereals …
- Chop the chives very fine.
- We put the meat in a large bowl.
- Add the minced garlic, chives and well-drained bread. We also add the salt, pepper and parsley.
- We knead with clean hands to mix all the ingredients well.
- Add the beaten egg to the meat mixture and just mix with a spoon.
- We pass the meat to a clean and dry surface.
- With a plating ring or simply with a glass we are shaping the Russian fillets.
- We add oil to a non-stick frying pan and when it is hot, fry the Russian fillets. 3-4 minutes per side depending on the thickness will be sufficient.
We can accompany them with other ingredients (rice, puree, legumes …) or put them between bread and bread as a hamburger with tomato, lettuce and what we like best.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the recipe album of homemade Russian steaks .
Tips for perfect homemade Russian steaks
- Good quality meat is essential in this recipe, so we advise not to buy packaged minced meat and instead go to the market or butcher where you will not select the best pieces.
- If we explain that it is to prepare Russian fillets (or hamburgers), they prepare the meat with the necessary proportion of fat to make it juicy.
- Although the point of the meat goes to taste, the ideal is not to cook it too much so that it does not dry out.